Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jul 2010 17:44:38 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Buying advice
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

Well Craig, since you had $3500 to blow, fine. When a deal looks too good to be true, and there are warning signals all over it, it is too good to be true. Take care, DMc

---- craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Well to justify what I did as a risk..... > I have wanted a Sunroof Syncro for 2+ years now. I have been very specific > in wanting a sunroof syncro that's rust free with a locking diff. I have > been told that as few as 200 sunroof syncros were made, so they are NOT > common by any means.... let alone finding a rust free one with a locker! > Mind you i'm on the east coast. > > Anyway, earlier this year one did come up that I had a chance to go look at. > It was a piece of crap with rust and dents, luckily they only wanted TWENTY > FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS for it..... > Ya.... > that's what I said! > > So, seeing a rust free one for $3500 that's exactly what I want..... > I really truly doubt another one is going to come up in my price range. This > was my chance. I took it. > For those of you who have sunroof syncros, be proud, flaunt it~! > I'd rather have one than a syncro westy, they're rarer! > : ) > > -Craig > '85GL turned WESTY > BOSTIG in the back > '87 SYNCRO sunroof. > > > On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > > I'm with you on this Jake.. > > I feel the same way .. > > doesn't matter how much documentation and proof you have .. > > it can be horribly costly , challenging and frustrating get what is due, if > > the other party is a jerk about it. > > > > I like that ..fight you in court with YOUR money ! > > that puts a clearer picture on it. > > > > it's a done deal now though. > > it'll probably work out. > > > > ever notice how scammers can be really nice and suck people in that way ? > > They're usually masters at it. > > > > anyway, I hope she's a beauty and everybody wins. > > Scott > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Jake de Villiers" <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 9:00 AM > > Subject: Re: Buying advice > > > > > > Unless you can do it in person I'd stay away from that deal Craig. > >> > >> Even if you have a bill of sale he's got your money and pursuing him in > >> the > >> courts will be a long and expensive proposition. > >> And he's got YOUR money to fight you with! > >> > >> YMMV > >> > >> Jake > >> > >> > >> > >> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 6:40 AM, craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com> > >> wrote: > >> > >> I'm working on closing a deal today on a sunroof syncro that's in Oregon > >>> (I > >>> am in PA). Anyway.... > >>> The buyer has asked that I just transfer money via a wire transfer in > >>> full > >>> to his bank account which i normally wouldn't be overly hesitant about > >>> but > >>> realize this would not afford me any type of fraud prevention should > >>> anything happen. I asked him a few days ago what assurance he can give me > >>> that this is going to be a fullproof transaction and his response was > >>> that > >>> should it go sour for any reason, just bash him on thesamba.com. Since > >>> he > >>> runs a VW restoration business almost entirely through thesamba, it > >>> seemed > >>> like a just response. Well..... I went and checked him out on the samba, > >>> and > >>> he's already been bashed enough. He's been banned close to 10 times > >>> (under > >>> different names), there are pending fraudulant claims and arguments > >>> occuring > >>> between he and buyers. Luckily, there are also great reviews of his > >>> service > >>> being above and beyond the call of duty. So this has me at least slightly > >>> concerned, any suggestions? > >>> Paypal may be an option, does that award a great deal more security? > >>> > >>> Furthermore, I don't recieve a bill of sale via the mail for at least a > >>> week > >>> after I give the guy all my money..... indicating that I don't actually > >>> own > >>> the car, but have given aside all my money. I asked that he send me an > >>> email > >>> with his full name, address, the VIN of the car, and which contains > >>> agreement terms....should I need to press charges later. Does this sound > >>> like a reasonable thing to want? Am I fair in wanting something like this > >>> BEFORE I pay? He seems to indicate (and I can see this point as well) > >>> that > >>> no actual change of ownership agreements ever occur untill after > >>> purchase. > >>> Sadly he's been pretty tricky with emails, so I have my concerns (Though > >>> he's easiliy reached via the phone and a wonderful person to talk too. He > >>> seems to be really interested in helping me out). > >>> > >>> Thoughts? > >>> I'm very excited about this purchase, but very concerned now. > >>> > >>> -Craig > >>> '85GL turned WESTY > >>> BOSTIG in the back > >>> > >>> > >> > >> > >> -- > >> Jake > >> > >> 1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' > >> 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie' > >> > >> Crescent Beach, BC > >> > >> www.thebassspa.com > >> www.crescentbeachguitar.com > >> http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 > >> > >

-- David McNeely