Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jul 2010 20:59:10 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: More Clutch - part 4 or is it 5
Comments: To: Kurt Grotz <kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM>

Hi. lock tite on the flywheel bolts is essential.. it seals oil from coming up the threads of the bolts, besides sticking them in there well. like it's mandatory.

funny about NAPA gear oil. I got a few bottles of their stuff just to be sure I had 'something' on short notice.. and it says GL-3, 4 and 5 on the bottle. GL-5 is considered better for pressure on gears ...and stiffer shifting cold, and GL-4 is considered to be better shifting cold, easier on the syncro's.

smart going on that felt seal retaiing ring. It's mandatory to have something for a pilot bearing dust seal. With no seal ........the pilot bearing rollers can fail easily in 2 years from clutch dust.

here is the new cool way I think ... since those metal rings are ofen gone ( just got some custom made ones in though ) ... you use a Diesel Vanagon Pilot Bearing .. since it has a much better built in rubber lip type dust seal. And it's a smidge longer than the waterboxer pilot bearing ....and sticks out of the crankshaft a little. So you bore out the center hole of the flywheel just a little, like have a machine shop do it. The outside diamter of a DV pilot brg is 20.8 mm. The stock hole in the center of the flywheel is 16.8 mm ...just get that hole machined out to 21mm and the flywheel will fit over the DV pilot bearing... and from then on it'll be a much better deal. Just need to remember it's a DV pilot bearing, and any truly vanagon savvy person would recongize it anyway.

on the locating dowels for the pressure plate. Critical that they be there. Not only for centering , but for rotational relationship with the flywheel...ie. the pressure plate fits on only one way, not 3 different ways . If you wanted to be really cool... you would get the flywheel and pressure plate balanced as an assembly.

if you just can't get those roll pins ( not dowel pins actually ) I have a cracked flywheel that I might be able to get the pins out of, or have a machine shop extract them. They're in blind holes..not like you can punch them out from the back side, though on the cracked flywheel it wouldn't be too hard to drill holes on the back side to drive the pins out through, if neccessary.

oh yeah... I was just talking about how much I see greased things dry after a while. I wonder if people realize the Throw Out Bearing Guide Tube is a friction surface, to be lubed fairly generaously ? the grooves on the inside of the TOB ..to me those are there to hold grease. I use 'black moly' grease on every little spot that moves...not so much it gets all over the place, but fairly generously. and on the tip of the release lever where the slave push rod pushes, and spray lube the crosshaft bushings until it moves very very nicely. 'usually' what I see is things carelessly assembled ...it's not in the parts...it's in the workmanshp . And metal....oh does metal like lubricants ! The tips of the crosshaft forks, where the TOB rides....black moly grease there . etc. etc.

Doesn't Bently mention some sealant on the flywhele bolts. ?

I will be surprised if the roll pins that located the pressure plate are 'a part' you can buy anywhere. The little metal ring is not 'a part' in normal parts systems. It's part of the flywheel. I priced a flywheel at my VW dealer once, just in case a new one was only say, 200 bucks... it was 700 something. yikes !

oh..roll pins........those are generic. go to a good FLAPS and look in like Dorman Parts ..they might have them. Also a good hardware store , like ACE .. they also would have roll pins. all the roll pins I have ever seen are high carbon steel, like hard and a little springey . Find ones that fit tightly............and stick out about 1/4 inch and that'll be fine.

tedious ? meticulous workmanship pays off , it's all in the details. any hack can slam in a clutch ... it takes an artist to do it really nicely ...and it's not even that hard to do right.

read Edwards post about the sloppy work some shop just did on his auto trans rebuild... they sure missed the details seems to me . Do it real carefully , each tiny step of the way, drive it nice ..and it'll last a long, long time. Nearly indefenitely. the vanagon clutches I have excellent luck with are Sachs clutches, rebuilt in Mexico... and they are just fine. You wouldn't even think they are rebuilt were it not for a little tag.

ok....do good work ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kurt Grotz" <kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 7:32 PM Subject: More Clutch - part 4 or is it 5