Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:24:09 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Progress On My New Weekender

I've owned it less than a week, and already I've made progress on some of my new Vanagons issues. So far I have replaced the rear hatch struts (no more wooden pole) and the pop top seal (canvas is in good condition and I want to keep it that way, plus I didn't want any places for wasps to start building a nest). Now, a trip to a boneyard was in order, and I struck gold. I got a new rear view mirror, new door pulls (black, not brown but mine were toast), new lower steering column cover, new drivers side seat belt (old one chewed by a dog), flexible sliding thingy around auto trans lever (mine was missing and that bothered me, as I could see something falling into there at the worst time and jamming it), new map pocket to replace missing one on drivers door (had to think on that one, at 6'4" I've always just found that map pocket to be a knee buster, but since the screw holes are there...) Now, an exhaust system was also on my wish list, but I really don't like junk yard trips in summer, as I'm not too fond of snakes, ticks, and bees. I really didn't want to crawl up under a van the check the exhaust, so I was very surprised when I opened one van and there it was....the holy grail-a complete exhaust system in EXCELLENT condition, already removed and sitting in the van!. And by complete I mean both front and rear pipes, the cat, a nearly new muffler and tailpipe, and what looks like a new oxygen sensor, and it was all still bolted together. After haggling a bit with the junk yard owner (he says a brand new Vanagon exhaust system costs $4,000.00!!) I got everything for well under $200.00. And no snakes, no bees, and surprisingly...no ticks. My assistant (17 yr old daughter) returned home last night from 2 weeks at Disney in Florida, so this weekend I am going have her help me do a brake fluid flush, as I am sure that hasn't been done in many years. Jeff

Jeff Stewart