Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:46:32 -0700
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon digital clock repair

Yeah...sounds like the button is rubbing on the hole...or pushed in too far and stuck in position, lodged under the bezel somehow, that's why it keeps cycling through the numbers.  Same as setting your microwave clock in the kitchen.  Maybe you pushed the button in too hard and too far, and now its "under" some edge, holding it in the "reset" position.

Removing the instrument cluster is easy, as Scott mentioned, and low risk; most of us have done it many times for one thing or another.  If you're dead-set against that, you might try the "smallest" drop of WD-40 or even 3-in-One oil...a tiny drop on the end of a pin, then the lubricant might "wick" in and free the shaft of the button.  With a little jiggling and poking, too.  Not too much, though, and you may wick it all the way to the PC board, causing intermittent connection; in that case, you'd have to remove the cluster to get in there to clean it and do it the right way.

Rich