Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Jul 2010 07:33:23 -0700
From:         "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\"" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C? Pfui! Need a good fan
Comments: To: dvdclarksn@aol.com

dvdclarksn@aol.com wrote:

> The PO of my 90 Westy installed a small oscillating fan just ahead of > the overhead tray on the drivers side. This fan does a great job of > moving the cool air from the rear to the front and cooling the back of > my neck and the front passenger.

That's a very good idea. I was waving the suction cup fan around before yanking its blade assembly to go onto the dash fan and found that air from behind the head was very cooling. And when it's from behind it doesn't dry the eyeballs so much. Less blinkage.

> You can usually find a good fan like > that one in the link at any major truckstop if it is not available > online or at your FLAPS.

What link?

-- Rocky J Squirrel 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCR

This morning I checked my temp up front with > everything running full blast with an outside temp of 78 F and 80% > humidity it was 56 F up front. I am getting 34 F air at the vents on the > 2 speed setting not in direct sun. Not to shabby after being sans a/c > for about 10 years in this van. > > David Clarkson > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Sat, Jul 10, 2010 10:03 am > Subject: A/C? Pfui! Need a good fan > > Maybe someday the air conditioning fairy will pay a visit and tell me > that because I've been a good boy I'll have A/C in all my cars > forevermore. More likely not, though. > > I have a dash-mounted fan like this one: > > <http://www.overstock.com/Auto-Parts/All-Metal-12-volt-Dash-Fan/2672978/product.html> > > And while it makes a quite pleasant whirring sound, the air doesn't > reach the driver. I've tinkered with the curvature of the blades but no > matter what I do, the fan is best-suited for blowing stuff off the dash, > not cooling the driver. > > Now, if you take off the chrome wire cage and remove the blade assembly, > then the blade assembly from one of these pops right onto the shaft: > > <http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Fan-12V-Suction-Base/dp/B001449QRY> > > Better blade design, it moves more air, and the air reaches the driver. > > Rather than stop there, though, I thought I'd ask the group if they have > had good success with some other fan, or have come up with a good way to > break up that bubble of hot air that seems to surround the driver and > passenger's faces and heads. (And no, I don't mean the hot air that I > emit when I express opinions!). At highway speeds, the wind wings are > far too noisy; and not enough air blows from the defrost vents or the > dash vents to do much good. > -- > Rocky J Squirrel > 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") > 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) > Bend, OR > KG6RCR