Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:28:30 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: naive A/C lines question
Comments: To: Keith Hughes <keithahughes@Q.COM>

Good points Keith,

Its a pity the lines and condensor are not up to the task of being oil cooler. While I am not 100 percent sold on the remote cooler set up (even though it is proven, see here http://www.syncro-bernd- jaeger.de/ENGLISH/Olkuhleranlage/olkuhleranlage.html), it would have been great if AC set up was suitable.

As to why I don't keep the AC? Out here in Victoria we really don't need it, and I want the extra space. It will be taken out within the month :)

cheers

alistair

On 9-Jul-10, at 9:55 PM, Keith Hughes wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 19:53:07 -0700 > From: Alistair Bell<albell@SHAW.CA> > Subject: naive A/C lines question > > My '86 has factory AC, which is not working, and I plan on removing > it. But I was wondering about the little AC rad at the front of van, > and the lines to and from it. Are those lines, and rad, suitable for > an oil cooler application? > > I have no idea what material the lines are made of, and what the > inside diameter is. Nor do I know anything about the little rad. > Well, the "little radiator" is a "condenser". The material of the OEM units I've seen is copper. It's your basic fin and tube heat exchanger. ID is probably like 1/4 - 5/16". The condenser itself, other than having a pretty high pressure drop across it, would do fine as an oil cooler. The hoses, not so much, most likely. They are pressure and temperature rated, but it's questionable as to whether they are stabile with hot motor oil; the material is designed for freon, which is not particularly aggressive, and mineral oil. If you're contemplating using the lines and the condenser as they are currently plumbed, I'd say you'd have major problems. Way too much pressure drop with that length of hose and exchanger. Also, if you do decide to try that route, make sure you remove the receiver/drier from the hose path. A cheaper and more useful solution would be a generic transmission cooler IMO.

Anyway, the low (here) was 90°F last night, and 110°F today. Why not fix the A/C instead? :-)

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin)