Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:03:49 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cockeyed Parking Brake Equalizer
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

I must be wierd. I have almost zero problems or issues with vanagon rear brakes.

granted, the shoes can wear out more at the top. granted, one shoe wears more than the other.

there is a trick about adding washers at the bottom of where the shoes mount to make full contact across the whole shoe occur better. I have not ever bothered to do that myself. that part is a bit 'german minded theoretical' and is a little weak out in the real world of grit, grime, and neglect. A few cars have eccentrics at the pivoting end of the shoe....so wear is spread more evenly .. so larger diameter drum ( from turing it , or wear ) can be accomodated.

also...we are not 'arcing shoes' anymore. in the say .....up to the 70's....you'd measure inside diamter of the drum, then 'arc' ...remove material from the new brake shoe face to make it precisely same curvature of the drum. that is not done anymore due to concerns about the toxic brake dust that process generates.

so there is inherantly some slight mismatch between shoe and brake drum curvature .. unless starting out with new drums and new OE grade shoes I imagine.

in practice.........I'm easy on brakes...mine just don't wear very much. They barely wear at all. And I use 'em a little harder now and then intentionally.

the privious design, fwiw....the manual adjusters were at the bottom of the shoe.. wheel cylinder at the top ..so you adjusted the bottom of the shoes out to nearly contacting the drum ...so you got very even and well spread out shoe-drum contact. Totally non-self adjusting though ..and I always hated adjusting VW drum brake star adjusters.. those things can get SO stuck it's awful. And early bug ....those brakes should get adjusted every 5,000 miles... maybe even as often as you were suppossed to adjust the valves...every 3,000 miles. in the 70's we used to , on a Bug .. adjust valves, replace valve cover gaskets, check and tweak points if neccessary, lube points cam, adjsut idle and mixture ..and maybe change the oil too for only 20 bucks sometiemes ! Maybe 25 with oil change. How did we even make a living doing that !?

anyway ....as I wrote earlier, I go into the rear brakes and inspect, empty out brake dust .. and sometimes I 'might' tweak up the self-adjusters just a bit, which is not normally done, and maybe shouldn't be done even , so be careful if you think you might want to do that ..

but ..they adjust just fine. Need to figure out which way to turn them .. used to be on old vw adjsuters it was 'handle up tightens up'.. forget what it is on vanagons..I just look at the thread every time and think...ok, turn the star this way..that will screw it that way, adjusting the shoes out some.

oh yeah...don't tell anyone !! ....sometimes if everthing is really kosher looking, and it's my own van..I might replace just the one worn shoe .. but I also .... lube the points on the backing plate where the shoes slide... I lube under the hold-down spring ...with copper anti-seize compound, just a tiny bit. I lube with copper anti-seize compound the ends of the shoes where the sit in aa grooove and move a tiny bit there I make sure the self-adjuster is freely turning/screwing ... I change the brake fluid to that wheel..... details details..it is NOT just replacing parts. The parts themselves are Almost Incidental in getting the results I get in vanagons.

Here's a trick on adjusting the self-adjusters...you adjust it out, and keep doing that until the drum just fits over, then, with drum on, yank on the parking brake handle to settle the shoes more, then tweak the adjuster again ...do that a few times ...just make sure there is no real drag on the drum when done.

but they work fine. On my own van I might attend to this once every two years. and as I said....brakes hardly where on my vehicles.

here's another way you can look at it .. every time you step on the brakes...you're wasting fuel. Heck, I've seen people stomp on their brakes going uphill ! and except in racing ...that is just plain wasting fuel and brakes even.

it's not practical to drive never touching the brakes of course.. but you can sure drive so you 'go well' ...but only use 'just the right amount of energy needed to get what you need or want' ... one sure sign of Mastery to me is .. using just the amount of energy or force needed, and no more.

If I'm performance driving ..and I can and do drive very fast, smoothy, and gently on the equipment .....if performance driving sure ..then it's on the power, off the power sand braking, then back on the power ..

but for nice driving in the real world.. it's accelerate at a reasonable rate... don't accelerate more than you need to ..like anticipate ... and anticiapte need to brake...and start slowing down early. Many people are really clumsy drivers that are brutal on the equipment. And apparantly, no body really cares how much fuel they burn .... like idling diesel engines while they talk on the cell phone.. or hot rods with horrible emissions that are 30 years old and get 12 mpg, or giant pick ups used as single person cars ( the norm where I live ) that get at best 15 mpg ....no body really cares I don't think. heck.. americans just throw away jillions of gallons of fuel every day just by following too closely. it's stupid, but humans are.

sorry....that was just about being rough on things and wasting fuel.. but vanogon rear brakes... I suppose they could be better ...but I find that with just simple car eand understanding and some clever tweaks and attetention to detail.. the work pretty well overall, for what they are, put it that way.

it's in the details kids. The Details. ( and 20 or 25 years ago my mind could not see the details like it can now, fwiw )

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 12:06 PM Subject: Re: Cockeyed Parking Brake Equalizer