Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:23:05 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cockeyed Parking Brake Equalizer
Comments: To: "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\"" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

that's interesting about feeling claustrophic under the van.

for one thing...make sure it's on level ground !!! I myself will feel very unsafe if it's not on level ground. the extreme last thing you want when under a car is it rolling.

personally....if I get under a car or van that is well supported and raised up some... I find it comforting. Like contemplative...looking around at what's leaking, or rusty ...or what goofy stuff people have done or not done to it ..but 'safe from the crazy world' even.

also ....people that work on vans at home.. I can not say it enough ... to do *anything* on the underside ..it MUST be raised some and well supported. Sure, I'll dive under there and mess with the fuel filter say .. but even still, you can not do as good a job with it on the ground,. on the tires.

getting a vehiclel up off the ground for any work that's not like ...on the engine from above, or tail lights or whatever like that.. if Fundamental...to being able to work on it.

furthermore ..it is GOOD to take things apart now and then ... At least you know they are not stuck or rusted. I take off a vanagon wheel and it's been on there untouched for 10 years, and the studs or bolts are shiny dry metal..and an no one, ever, in the 25 years of life of the poor thing has put a dab of anti-seize on the stud threads, or bolt threads....I just wonder.

you don't adjust and serive bycycle gears and chains in a bike shop with it on the ground...you put it in a stand to work on it ..same thing on cars.. for any suspension/wheel/brake work...it's got to be in the air, even if just one end or even one corner. and ..WELL SUPPORTED .. mininum is hard flat surface, good jack stands, goos solid well make heavy duty jack stands.

THEN you can work on it really. I have long noticed a tendency in non-professinals to not take the extra steps to make access to the work good. it really pays ... get a nice clean solid flat space with decent enough room around the van and get it off the ground and solidly supported...then you can really work on it. Your mind is more clear then. it's like surugery...........they get the patient all laid out with good access to what they are working on ...it helps you do better work. when you've done something a hundred times and know all the nuacnes of it .. then you can sneak in there with it barely jacked up and do 'just the right' tweak and get the result.. but until that level is acheived , it really pays to get 'er up and solidly supported so you can see and think clearly. and it is really contemplative, fun, reflective, and even comforting to just lay under there looking up, thinking about all those miles gone by .. looking at those little rusted spots ....some little thing loose.. all those extra long wire tie tails they left on at the factory ( I hate 'em, always cut them off ) ... etc. Kinda a private space there safely away from the rest of the crazy world.

and...you can spray every last tiny part of a vanagon with WD-40 or some good lube...with exceptions...never on brake surfaces, and I don't spray into alternators .. and maybe not on accesssory belts and not not interior materials of course.......but most vanagons I see are suffering despearately from things being dry and corroded. WD-40,. for me, so far, is good for all rubber metal and electrical stuff. I simply could not fix cars without it. And it doesn't hurt much either. you know...those spots where the shift linkage slides....you know. "Lube-it-or-loose-it. " !

like who services their roll up window tracks and mechanisms ? someone should. I use silicone spray on the track slides.

scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:45 PM Subject: Re: Cockeyed Parking Brake Equalizer