Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:27:34 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C? Pfui! Need a good fan
Comments: cc: "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\"" <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

I can be wrong about things so don't worry about saying so when I am. Like many here my memory fails at times with age.

Yeah, you are right that the fan can push some fresh air out the end vents when the vehicle is stopped in early types. There are some gravity flaps that push open when under way and let fresh air get directly to the early hoses without passing through the fan. Starting in mid 87 only air that gets pushed through the heater core can go to the end vents and that is my main concern with the design change. Reduced air flow without the fan and only heated air available if the the heat is on at all. If the heater core is too dirty little air may flow. I like fresh air on my face, even or especially when the heater is on. Can't have it from mid 87 on.

If you have the dash out you can see a date code molded into the heater box below the radio area, facing up. A circle with a 2 digit year. I have a bunch of spare heater boxes here since I like to dump the 82 watercooled heater box for any year later heater box as that diesel van version is as crappy as the aircooled version it is based on.

Mark

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" wrote: > > > > Hey Mark, I have total respect for your knowledge, I've seen your shop > and know how deeply you understand these vehicles. But to add a datum > point to your accumulated wisdom, I just checked: On this 1984 model, > 1.9l, AT, the fan drives air out the dash end vents (now that I have > mine hooked back up). > > I have no reason to think that it has a replacement heater box given how > totally stock the van was when I got it six years ago with 68,000 miles > on it. You've seen this van and may recall it. But I could be wrong > about that. One of these days, when I have the time and confidence, I'm > going to open the dash and repair the failing foam seals on the box. >