Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:37:33 -0700
From:         Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanablog  (help)
Comments: To: Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>

I concur. Plus the last auto tranny rebuilder I dealt with also wanted the aftermarket transmission fluid cooler removed and delivered to his shop with the transmission so he could personally flush it for possible debris. They had a machine of some kind to perform this task and pumped a predetermined amount of cleansing fluid through it.

Perhaps someone will site a case where they did not follow this advice and everything work out fine BUT the relative cost of a rebuilt torque converter and a thorough fluid flushing is miniscule compared to doing the job twice.

Also as a side note... This particular rebuilder's 3 year warrantee requires an in-shop service/inspection after driving 1000 miles with the rebuilt tranny.

I would recommend against replacing just the automatic section. If he did fry the inners of the automatic, there will be plenty a crap circulating in the system, including inside the torque converter. A lot of that crap will end of inside the rebuilt transmission if he doesn't replace the torque converter as well. Additionally, I doubt if any reputable rebuilder would warranty the transmission without replacing the torque converter. Reminds me of a quote from my Father: "It's like washing your feet and then putting your dirty socks back on."

Cheers,

Jeff

Classic symptoms of forward clutch failure, which will require a rebuild. In his position (given that he has/can get the money to do it), I'd get a rebuilt auto section from German Transaxle and try to find somebody locally to install it. The actual R&R of the auto section isn't that big of a deal; I'd think that finding somebody that could/would do a competent rebuild in that area would be much more difficult, and then you'd have the warranty issue.

German Transaxle is about 450 miles from where he is, so hopefully shipping wouldn't be that expensive. I'd think I could get back on the road for around a grand (rebuilt transmission, shipping two ways [for the core] and labor for the swap). Anybody have the book numbers for the labor?

Good luck, Robert

Hi Folks

I've been off of this list for a few years but wanted to join again to share my nephew's blog with you.

He has recently received his phD in English and has decided to take a "learning trip" across North America for a year in a new to him 1987 Westfalia automatic.

Seth and his partner Micah started from Sebastopol CA and have traveled north through Oregon, Washington, and parts of BC and are now making there way back south to Boulder so that Micah can continue her education at CU. Then parts unknown for Seth....

My original intention was only to turn you on to my nephew's blog but as fate would have it he has at the same time as this posting had an unexpected breakdown in Hailey Idaho.

He says that suddenly "the van won't move anymore" .....It won't move in D....I had him put it in R and it moved, then L and it moved but he says it struggles. I had him check the fluid level and it's good.

If anyone can help...please, I don't know automatics.

His name is Seth 707-416-5131 sebtownsage@yahoo.com

His blog:

http://vwvanplan.blogspot.com/

Thank You