Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:08:32 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Random wire... Ugh.
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@gmail.com>

The various label later Vanagon Digifant ECUs store trouble codes and they can be displayed if you hook up a led and switch as shown on the 88/89 wiring diagram. The issue is I have no idea how to clear the codes and without that they are of much less use.

The 2 original 86/87 ECUs both end with 022 in the VW number and these don't have the capability AFAIK. The 88-91 022D version does, as do the generic Bosch replacements that have no VW part number.

There are not that many fault codes available but the ones that are directly deal with what we here have come to know as common problems with the 2.1 system.

Mark

Larry Alofs wrote: > Please tell me more about displaying the trouble codes! > > Larry A. > > > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM, mark drillock<mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: >> That wire is NOT used. It was part of the main harness because VW was >> anticipating adding a "check engine" light. The other end of that wire >> is in the engine compartment wiring box. You can see it on Bentley page >> 97.123 where it connects to the Digifant ECU pin 20 and to a dash >> MAL-IND light/switch. AFAIK, the dash light/switch was never implemented >> though the ECU trouble codes are stored and displayable if the version >> type 022D ECU is fitted. Too bad this was never fully supported. >> >> Mark >> >> >> Marius Strom wrote: >>> >>> So as I'm installing my secondary battery kit last night, I had to pull >>> out the fuse panel on my '88 Westy camper to make some modifications to the >>> B connector (to bring radio/cigarette lighter/interior lights, etc. over to >>> aux battery power). While I had the fuse panel pulled, I noticed a >>> grey/white strip wire attached to a yellow connector (male plug) just >>> dangling back there ... not connected to anything. >>> >>> I know this is a really long shot, but I'm wondering what the right way to >>> figure out where that wire goes. Bentley isn't helpful with this one, and >>> I can't see where it could've connected to the back side of the fuse panel >>> (most of those connections would need a female connector), nor can I find a >>> vacant female connector hiding back there anywhere. >>> >>> I'm assuming it was there, disconnected, before I started anything... but >>> I have this nagging feeling. >>> >>> -marius >>> >> >