Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:04:22 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanablog (help)
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>

my jobs always expand .. I'm taking out the auto trans .. therefore I am seeing the often dry CV joints .. therefore we wonder if the outer CV's need servicing too ..

I can never just to 'the one thing' ...there are always close-by things needing attention in my world, on these 20 + year old beauties .. but then the idea is to just keep him moving and on the road I suppose.

'two hours' and just do the one part .. I call that slam dunk car repair. what about .....say ....making sure the trans oil cooler doesn't have junk in it from a failing trans.. and since that's opening up coolant .. then there's making sure the cooling system is bled at least well enough .. and if they coolant is kinda old anyway .. you know what I'm saying thorough good jobs are more than just replacing the one failed part.

you know ....new gear oil for the differential .. it adds up, if you do a thorough job. 'just replacing the failed part' .....is just that, replacing one part. Actually addressing the various needed associated things ...is doing complete repair and service. And I would hope there would be attention on how thorough the repair is rather than how quickly.

and sure ,there are shops that undo hoses from the oil cooler..which is opening up the cooling system .. and never say a work, or even notice, the coolant looks 5 years old...that happens in many shops .. don't look at the overall health of the van, just change the one failed part and send 'em on their way.

it's usually not that every system in the van is in perfect health, then one part just failed. it's more likely that many systems have been operated for a long time ...... and finally one fails to function .. the other systems that often have not gotten service or attention still need the attention they have not gotten ..and

so badly so in some cases, that it's a good thing the van broke down ... had one recently ...it's not to big an exaggeration to say that it's good thing the transmission failed, because it hadn't the van was likely headed for overheating from a coolant leak and poor condition coolant, or catching on fire from a fuel leak it had.

they usually need a lot more attention than just the one failed part being replaced .. on all the vans I see these days anyway. A holistic approach to repair and servicing these babies pays off actually.

just want to see the remaining vanagons stay as healthy as possible, Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Fisher" <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:33 AM Subject: Re: Vanablog (help)