Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:19:17 -0400
From:         Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dash Cluster Needed, '86+
Comments: To: Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>

At 04:28 PM 7/14/2010, Jeff Schwaia wrote... >"as originally installed", not original equipment. > >I read that to mean you can't relocate that headlight that burned out, >but >you can replace it.

First, this discussion started out with regard to Pennsylvania. I've already quoted directly from the relevant PA statutes. It's a mystery what AZ law has to do with it.

Second, "as originally installed" was never said to be a literal quote of Arizona law, and absolutely no reference to AZ law was provided, it was just a claim. Which, BTW, the claimant went on to interpret pedantically - I was just following suit.

What especially humorous is that it appears that AZ actually has NO LAW which requires a speedometer. You can look through the relevant statutes here: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=28 Searching for "speedometer" produces no results.

Karl claimed "AZ law says that all safety equipment as originally installed in the vehicle must be properly functioning," but provided no cite. The closest I find is 28-981, which simply requires that "1. The equipment on the vehicle is in good working order and adjustment as required in this chapter. 2. The vehicle is in a safe mechanical condition that does not endanger the driver or other occupant or a person on the highway." So, without a better cite, I'll call BS on the claim.

Third, if, per your claim, one can replace with non-original equipment in the original location, then duct tape and a GPS would work as a speedometer.

Seriously, there are numerous aftermarket speedometers available, and a GPS or $120 VDO electronic one would likely be MUCH more accurate than the original. I doubt that any state requires the OEM, or even an "OEM-like" speedo. They just want vehicles to have functional speedometers.