Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:20:36 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cockeyed Parking Brake Equalizer
Comments: To: "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\"" <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

all right .. rear brakes 'should' be in pretty decent condition.

can't tell how far back in miles or months the rear brake job and mc was.. just that it was 7K miles after 2006.

if you just need a tighter feeling parking brake cable and you think the rear brakes are in pretty good condition, it shouldn't hurt to dial in a few turns on the 10mm hex nut at the aft end of the parking brake cable underneath. supposed to be 3 clicks on the parking brake handle starts to do anything I think..something like that. in any case, make sure the rear drums are free to turn nicely when parking brake is full off.

that the balance bar is angled is of no concern.. unless you have a broken or seized parking brake cable. one important check to do while under there is pull on each parking brake cable with your hand... see that it moves out a half inch or so, and returns. if each cable does not do that ... something may be tired, worn, stuck, fraying, etc.

'mostly' the parking brake cables are quite good and long lasting. of the last say 50 pairs of parking brake cables on vanagons I played with .. there were maybe 3 bad parking brake cables in all those vans. But always do that check.. pull on the inner cables by hand and see how they feel and move.

if they're ever apart and off the van for any reason .. I'm sure I couldn't help lubing them and getting them moving real smoothly again .. though they are really quite good cables in general...no complaints about them . Good solid VW original parts, those cables, most of the time.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"" <camping.elliott@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:04 AM Subject: Re: Cockeyed Parking Brake Equalizer