Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jul 2010 21:14:11 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: engine revving at idle
Comments: To: Mark <mbrush@GMAIL.COM>

if it is a throttle cable issue ... *all* vanagons if they haven't had it done, and I see many that have never had this part worked on .. remove the throttle cable from the van .. blow out the white plastic forward tube with compressed air. on the throttle cable itself, thoroughly lube the outer cable where the inner cable slides in the outer part. Lube the bell crank mechanism under the floor of the van .. lube the gas pedal pivot .. when inserting the cable back into the white plastic tube , spray good lube as you insert the cable... push the cable in some, spray lube, repeat, etc.

you do all this starting in the middle of the van ....undo both ends..... remove from the middle.

when you do this deluxe throttle cable lube, it's good for years. Many, many vanagons have never had their throttle cable worked over, cleaned and lubed like this. They love it.

you'll find throttle action is about 90 % smoother ... it's part of a major re-fit/service/restore that so, so many of these 25 year old vans are needing now. I find hundreds of spots to lube on them that have not been lubed since they built it Germany. The throttle cable sure is one, especially the white tube part, and the gas pedal and bell crank below it. lube the throttle body too, they almost never get any service, not the dozens of them that I see on vangons anyway.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark" <mbrush@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:36 PM Subject: engine revving at idle