Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:23:52 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: battery compartment
Comments: To: "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>

> Of my two vans I have 1 or two covers and neither are in use in my > working van. One of the covers has a huge arc mark where it touched > positive.

{post interrupted, material inserted}

So, more than one person has reported that the cover HAS arced through some sort of contact, whether abused or not, and others do have some concern, enough to take precautions. I'm not the only one who thought this could be a problem, despite statements by others. However, I may be the only one running the wrong battery (sure, right lol! ). {back to original post} >Both of my batteries are secured with the stock hold downs > thought! I hope not having the covers in place will not kill me as I > sleep in my van.

Seems to me that any enclosure for an item that has potential for dangerous behavior is a safety feature. I wouldn't be concerned for sleeping in the van, but I would be concerned for the consequences of a collision or rollover. A battery is capable of spilling, and scattering acid around. Bad scene.

The safety concern is why I have been furiously trying to get my battery box and battery in order. I think I am going to get a standard sized battery today (mine is the wrong size), which will at least fit the box properly. Then, for now, I'll use the evidently non-stock clamp (but it may be right for the correct battery -- will have to see) and fasten the battery down properly.

Right now, I have a battery that a previous owner installed, tests good and stays charged, that is too small. I have wedged it solidly in place with blocks of wood, and the bracket I have (which fits the bolt hole on the box front perfectly, but does not engage this battery in any way that appears right) solidly holds the battery down. I have the positive post (and the rest of the battery, but not blocking the vents) covered with rubber, but will try today, if unable to get a stock battery with a proper cover, to devise something that is more solid and less likely to be penetrated by the terminal should the battery move.

I guess all in all, I'd prefer to have the battery somewhere else than where it is, but that's the way VW built this beast. I'd certainly prefer to have everything about it all according to the engineers who designed it, but it may never be that way if my box is somehow modified (I think that is a remote possibility, but the bracket that Scott Daniels pictured for me certainly will not fit my box).

For those who really know, are "maintenance free" batteries really so? Seems they must evaporate some water, but it seems not routine any more to add distilled water to a battery. Vent caps pry off, too, rather than screw off, so potential to flick acid. Eye protection when working with batteries, for sure.

After-market batteries seem never to be sealed units, like some that come with autos. Reasons? Pros and cons of the two battery types (sealed vs. "maintenance free")? Certainly, a battery that is not capable of spraying acid around would have at least that big advantage.

David McNeely