Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:14:02 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tool Question. (re: gas tank and general wrenching)
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Scott: thanks!

This morning, cranked the wheels over and found that I can just reach in and get a hold of the driver side end of crossover tube. So with wheel off it will be even "easier"! Ha. <grin> Hopefully I'll be able to get the side cutters in there to snip off the existing cable strap, slide a clamp down from upper end of hose at expansion tank and crank it tight with a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Not an urgent job, as I plan on keeping the rubber side down, (i.e. no seepage with 3/4 tank) but needs to be done at some point.

For any other Vancouverites (or Canada wide?) these long reach pliers are on sale at Canadian Tire:

http://tinyurl.com/334asko

Neil.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > you gotta have long nose pliers, for sure, in general. > > the lone straight ones ..I use like an extra long needle nose pliers. > > the one with the curved in tips ... > I use those to grab round things, like hoses. > > you can work on the top of the fuel tank through the front wheel wells. > It's not fun though. > kinda like you can see it, or you can touch it, but both at the same time. > but it's doable, in place. > mucho patience and determination required. > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 10:43 AM > Subject: Tool Question. (re: gas tank and general wrenching) >

>> Had read that it's possible to do some work on gas tank while it's >> still mounted in place. >> >> Would these long nose pliers be of use for a job like this?   pic of >> tool types:   http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P949265a.jpg

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines