Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 2010 06:44:05 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where to buy Limbo Hatch Stick?
Comments: To: Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@yahoo.com>

I do a pretty good description, but posting pics is a pain 'cause Jerry Vanagon doesn't allow them

. My hatch stick, which I use mainly for when I have bicycles on my rear hatch-mounted rack, it is made from oak that I had around my shop. 3/4" x 3/4" with the corners rounded off. The end corners are rounded also, using a 1/8" round over bit in a router. I drilled into one end with a 1/4" Forstner bit and inserted a short piece of hardwood dowel, leaving about 3/4" of the dowel sticking out, Glue the dowel in. My stick worked out at 50" long, long enough to open the hatch to almost full max with the dowel end inserted into one of two 1/4" holes that I drilled into my rear hatch. The lower end of your stick should be able to slide into the angle at the body opening where the hatch weather strip fits (also where the latch striker is located) when the hatch is closed. Mine is cut just long enough to keep slight pressure against the hatch up (open) when it is in position, with that dowel as 'insurance'. Should a gust of wind or a clumsy person move the hatch...the stick won't fall out because the upper end is 'captured' by the dowel in the little hole. The holes are drilled into the hatch at either side, at the angle were the window glass and the interior panel meet. There is a convenient 'web' of metal there with nothing behind it. So to 'use' the Stick...which I keep along my van's right side against the body in the crack between the bed pad and the interior panel...I open the hatch with one hand and with the hatch fully open I insert the dowel into either side, into the hole in the hatch, with lower end of the Stick angled towards the center of the opening...the hatch latch striker area...Then I swing the bottom of the Stick outward, away from the center of the van, fitting (then sliding) the lower end into the groove in the body where the hatch weather strip fits so that as the Stick nears perpendicular it 'wedges' itself into place, with the dowel to keep the upper end from slipping out in the event of a bumping, wind gust, etc.

What I mainly use to keep the hatch up (the struts are 'iffy' with the weight of my Yakima bike rack and it's attachments mounted on the hatch) are a some pieces of PVC conduit fitted over the two struts. I think they are 1", the thicker white PVC. Cut those to just fit over the rod that comes out of the hydraulic cylinder when the strut is extended. You can open your hatch and reach over with one hand to 'engage' your PVC "over-strut support" with the other while gently supplying upward force. Let the hatch settle onto the PVC pipe as it sits against one end of that cylinder (gravity will put it into place for you) and it takes over from the cylinder to hold the hatch open. I use the PVC support when I have no bikes on there and the day is calm. If I have a couple of bikes and wheels on there, the Stick seems to be a more dependable idea....Opening the hatch when 'loaded' with bikes is somewhat strenuous and it would hurt if it accidentally slammed onto your back somehow..

Hope that helps Don Hanson

I also made my own 'extender' to allow the hatch to lock but with about 3" of airspace at the bottom, if that is what you are talking about.