Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:54:33 -0400
From:         Mark <mbrush@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      stalling and hard restart

After new fuel tank, pump, filter, lines, ignition switch, temp II switch, a few ground wire clean ups, and an adjusted throttle switch - things are running MUCH better - BUT - I still have a problem. After driving for a bit, the bus will eventually stall and then have a really hard time restarting. Usually happens after I've driven it, get back in and I'm idling to leave a parking lot (STALLS). It's happened often enough that I can tell when it's NOT going to restart. The telltale sign is I don't hear the fuel pump engage for those brief seconds when I turn the key over (before I turn it all the way over). If I don't hear the fuel pump, when I turn it all the way over, it won't start. I keep retrying it until I hear the fuel pump cycle on. Once I hear that, the bus fires up. This happened with the old pump AND the new pump (though the new pump sounds a lot better when it cycles on - the old one seemed to struggle).

It happened today, and I tried replacing the fuel pump relay with a spare I have. When I put that relay in, the fuel pump just cycled on continuously (not for the 3 or 4 seconds as normal). It didn't start. I put the old relay in - a few more tries - I heard the fuel pump cycle for a few secs - and it fired up and got me home.

I know all the FI parts are interconnected, so it could be a bunch of things (O2 sensor, idle stabilizer, ECU??) - just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone, or if anything comes to mind.

Having fun learning how this machine works - but my machine is telling me that I have A LOT more to learn :-)

Mark

-- Mark 1990 Westy (2.1 - manual)