Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:14:01 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas Mileage Improvements?
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>

do you have pretty standard size tires ? wouldn't want big fatties , not for fuel mileage.

it's running up to temp ? I imagine it is at this time of year there...but that's important.

oxygen sensor is good ? muffler and cat too ?

try Royal Purple synthetic ATF ....that'll get you a little stronger feeling running .. and a smidgen of an mile per gallon.

that's 'it' ..that's what they do. 16.5 mpg on the highway driving nicely, ...2.1 wbxr with stock 3 speed auto trans.

when I was driving an 85 Wolfsburg Weekender with auto trans and complete 2.1 engine, fuel system, and cooling system upgrade ...... I thought seriously about wiring the starter circuit such that, when I came to a stop in heavy traffic .. I could just shut off in 'D' ...... turn igntion back on ....when light turned green ...just hit a dedicated starter button and move right out ...click-moving-in-gear . don't try it at home though ! .....could be unsafe used less than very wisely.

fwiw ....there are a few prodction cars coming out now that shut off automatically in stop and go traffic .

and ....this can only be worth a smidjin of fuel savings... but I never pull into a parking spot, then put the shift lever in Park .. and the engine revs up, then shut it off.. lots of things wrong with that .. you're running the engine unnessarily ..and shutting it off at a higher idle speed.

I shut the engine off in 'D' .......shuts off much faster that way. Engine is under load .....and rpm is lower then I put it in park. if pulling straight into a parking spot I shut the engine off 10 feet before I get there, then when stopped I put it in park.

but I am warning you.. given how humans are ...if you shut it off in D .. you'll think it's time to get out of the car .. and it can easily roll if not put in park. which is why I say don't try this at home.. but what I do my auto trans cars is ...shut off in D, then put it in Park, then get out of the car. saves a tiny bit of fuel and wear on things.

never coast an automatic in neutral, especially above a few mp............. not on all, but on many, it can do severe internal damage to the trans.

running 10 % ethanol gasoline there ?

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Sullivan" <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:58 PM Subject: Gas Mileage Improvements?