Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:12:50 -0400
From:         Raymond Paquette <raymondpaquette@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brainstorming: Kayak on Top?
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

If you put it inside, be so careful about your window glass that it seems ridiculous. It is truly amazing how little force is required to break the glass. Ask me how I know (3X).

Raymond

Alistair Bell wrote: > Old Town Vapor 10? > > does it come with a "rub"? :) > > specs say it weight 48 lbs, so if its one of a pair (with the missus) > then up top would make pop top popping out of question. > > > its is 28. 5" wide, and only 16.75" deep, so I would say 2 could go > in van on side... That would be my choice, but for goodness sakes > find some way of securing in van - you don't want a Bumtrinket to > shoot forward if you make a panic stop. > > > cheers > > alistair > > > > On 21-Jul-10, at 6:10 AM, Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > > I'm acquiring a new kayak (my Very First) this weekend. I will be > hauling it with me to Flathead Lake next week for a vacation. I will > be camping on the way there and back so I want the thing in the way > as little as possible while on the road. > > I can think of three ways to carry the thing and none are impressing > me very much right now, so I could use a little assistance > brainstorming this thing. > > Way 1. Inside the Westy. The kayak is only 10 feet long so it should > fit. Pro: EZ 2 do. Con: In the way, but not a big deal. > > Way 2. Tied on top of the Westy. Pro: I already have anchor points to > tie it to. Con: Reduced mileage, and the poptop won't pop without > removing the thing. I can't afford a rack at this time. > > Way 3. Tied atop the trailer. Pro: EZ 2 do. Con: The top of the > trailer is fiberglass with a skin of Mellow Yellow-colored paint, I > worry that the kayak will wear through the paint. > > Picture of trailer here: > > <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ > tOV1dWDwOXMSnopLSjrEWKGZse01VKwBV0kK2DXjCqc?feat=directlink> > > Picture of boat tied atop Westy to show present lashing points: > > <http://picasaweb.google.com/j.michael.elliott/BoatOnBus? > authkey=Gv1sRgCNWmgq-f1Mb5rwE&feat=directlink> > > Picture of kayak: > > <http://www.rei.com/product/784205> >