Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:42:37 -0700
From:         Zolly <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: 40 minutes drive and then cuts out.
Comments: To: Ken Lewis <kdlewis@NORTHSTATE.NET>

Ken, You probably missed the "fixed" email on this. As it turned out, as everyone suspected, it was a fuel delivery issue. Now, whether it was a blocked filter, a blocked tank, a failing regulator, etc., we only find out after testing all and see what's not letting gas in. So, I was running the van until it stopped. Then went out to test whatever I could before it cooled down, when it started again. Then I ran it again until it stopped and tested again. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the line. And when the van stopped again the next time, I put voltage from the battery straight to the fuel pump and "voila" it did not work. Not because the computer did not give it signal this time. It did not work when it was hot, because it had worn brushes inside and those don't work when they are worn down to the stop, as you know. It happens with starters too. So, I put on an other fuel pump and now happy days are here again. Sometimes these things come to us the hard way. Changing computers and coil and all the other electricals, did not work. And why was I supposed to check the fuel pump when it was working otherwise? But it was one item I had to make work to create fuel pressure and when I found it is not working while hot, I had to admit it must be changed and that's the faulty item. Now, I put a sign on it "works when cold only". Worn out brushes on an old item, that's all. These vans are old. A quarter of a century old. Thanks for thinking for us though. I appreciate you helpful nature, Sir. With respect, Zoltan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Lewis" <kdlewis@NORTHSTATE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:43 PM Subject: Re: 40 minutes drive and then cuts out.