Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jul 2010 00:52:47 +0000
From:         Bill Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      For those familiar with the VW 1.8t engine

Taking late advantage of Friday....

My wife's car is a 03 Passat w/ 1.8t engine, 55k miles. We bought it at 30k certified from VW, all mainetenance intervals kept up with, VW approved synthetic oil every 5k. As of lately the car has not been as "peppy" when pulling out in 1st (5 speed), I have no check engine lights on and everything else seems ok. Today I pulled a plug (perfect color no tar or white ash), cleaned the MAF and wiped out a little oil that had accumulated downhill of the big hose that connects to throttle body. The car does not use oil and drives fine otherwise (except of pulling caliper).

After cleaning the MAF it "seemed" a little better on acceleration but sometimes my assometer is a little too optimistic, the car has all of its power through the other gears and you can feel the turbo kick in.

Any thoughts on what to check or suspect? I've had some tell me perhaps the sludge monster has attacked, any non-invasive ways to investigate?

Anyone need charcoal grey heated cloth seats/door panels? Very cheap for pickup in western PA, like when you come this way for the Flood City Music Festival Aug 6,7,8, featuring Robert Fray, Galactic, Anders Osborne, Devon Allman, all for $25 wknd pass. http://www.jaha.org/FCMF/performers.html

All kidding/promoting aside, any thoughts on the wife's ride?

Ryan _________________________________________________________________ Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_1