Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jul 2010 00:26:23 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC - Just for Mr. Squirrel
Comments: To: Jim <jrasite@eoni.com>

It doesn't count.

There are plenty of brewers out here.... lets have a discussion. The beer they brewed, might have been as low as 10% ABV..... the process of fractionally distilling it with extreme freezing techniques is what removed the remaining water and raised the alcohol content. Therefore, this is not fair to be called "The world's strongest beer", as the beer itsself was not.

I believe this title still belongs to Sam Adams Utopius. Their brew is BREWED using several strains of highly resistant yeast that can deal with the high IG of the brew. Not to mention special equipment. I recently met with their brewer and spent an hour talking to him about this process exactly. Funny story really.... We met as a result of my VW VANAGON pulling up to his brewery to a full parking lot (This was after visiting Boston to see BOSTIG). He allowed me to park at the loading dock for the duration of my stay, and watched over my "cool car" as he so put it. I gave him the full tour of the car and told him all about it and my travels, then we started on discussing beer. He had very nice things to say about my beer knowledge and personality, and I was rewarded.... Long story made short..... I was given a barrel used to make Sam Adams Utopius. Their head brewer even loaded it into my Vanagon. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30943811&l=e167e61017&id=1457880199

He said they only brew 100 barrels at a time. As he loaded it into my bus he said "The next batch will just have to be 99!"

They said that when the Utopius first starts active fermentation, and several stages throughout where they add additional yeasts, for 24 hour periods the brewing staff actually has to stay at the brewery doing constant monitoring and testing of the yeast fertility and adjusting the brew accordingly, as it's THAT unstable.

The previous "holder" in the title, that also lied/cheated, which I believe was also produced by Brewdog (The company in question here) was called "Tactical Nuclear Penguin". I just loved that name.

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY BOSTIG in the back '87 SUNROOF Syncro