Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:23:46 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 VS 1.9 AFM
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

At 05:16 PM 7/26/2010 Monday, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >sometimes if you look really carefully, and understand what they are >representing in the drawings of the parts in the wire diagram .....they do >try to represent what part is what inside a relay etc... >so I am wonderiing if it means anything or not.

It's a slightly different drawing style, no significance. In each case the component on the left (arrow(s) not part of the wiring) is the T-I sender, and the one on the right, with the heel of the arrow incorporated into the wiring is the airflow sender -- the arrow represents the wiper of the potentiometer.

>inputs to the ecu appear to be the same. >I'm gonna pop a 2.1 AFM onto a digiget system and see what it does.

I'd be surprised if it didn't more-or-less work. I'd also be surprised if it got the mixture exactly right, though I imagine it would be within the range that the lambda sensor could compensate for.

>if anyone would like to comment on the internal nuances of the two AFM's ... >that would be great.

AFAIK the T-I senders are the same. The pinout is the same. The resistor plate may or may not be the same but this is *probably* not relevant since the output in either case is a (potentio-metered) fraction of five volts based on vane displacement. I'm making an assumption I consider reasonable, that the output is linearly proportional to angular displacement of the vane; however that is subject to test. If it's nonlinear then it *might* be differently nonlinear between the two. Since the 2.1 passes more air, I would expect that the spring calibration would be "tighter" i.e. more air for the same vane displacement. That would make a 2.1 AFM run lean on a 1.9 engine, no matter whether jet or fant; and conversely a 1.9 AFM run rich on a 2.1 engine. Aside from that I doubt there are any functional differences.

Yours, David