Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:19:13 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CB
Comments: To: Vanvw1@aol.com

I run the latest rendition of the venerable Cobra 29 with WX and lighted background in my rig mounted on a Kriket hump-style mount with built-in speaker. The Kriket Mount hasn't been made in almost 2 decades, but it's one I bought a long time ago at a CB shop that's been in the biz for over 30 years - still these best I've used in several Buses and Vanagons. It sits on the floor ahead of the walk thru and basically out of the way, but accessible when I need to use the controls. Mounted on top of that is a Bearcat 1000 Channel Programmable Scanner with digital capabilities for the APCO 25 systems. When not in the Vesty, I run the Bearcat in my 04 Kia Spectra EX on a dedicated bracket mounted on the passenger side of the console and another Cobra 29 on the driver's side of the console.

Unlike David, I don't have issues with the Sound-Tracker(tm) function on my Cobra. When on, local signals come in crisp and clear. With it off, I can hear stations/mobiles several miles away plus the incoming DX (skip) from across the country depending on the time of day.

The antenna is mounted on the side securing screw of the luggage rack. A 48" loaded whip with a piece at the base to allow it to have its own built-in groundplane because of the lack of proper grounding on the plastic luggage rack. In CB parlance, its got fantastic "ears" and "gets out" up to at least 5 miles in metro areas, farther when on the road or in the boonies. One important thing to note: Because of the emergency WX function, that radio continues to draw power even when switched off. If yer gonna be parked for awhile, it will drain the battery unless you disconnect it. I solved that by hooking it up to my house battery, separate from the regular vehicle battery. But when I'm parked for a LONG period as I occasionally do living mobile and parked, I still disconnect the radio.

Occasionally I will hook up my old Cobra 146 GTL (complete with "funny channels") to "ratchet-jaw" on Single Side Band (SSB). Its the same size as the Cobra 29, so it easily swaps over.

The scanner antenna is mounted on the opposite side of the luggage rack at the screw attachment. Excellent coverage LVHF thru the highest bands programmable. I've been running CBs in my vehicles (except the 914) since 1971. I miss my SBE Sidebander II (circa 1972-1979). It was the best unit I've ever run, even compared with units being produced today.

I use to collect CBs. Browning Golden Eagle Mark III, Mark IV, Tram Diamond 60, Tram D201 Base, SBE Side banders II & III, SBE Console II, various Johnsons, etc. Sold all of them years ago, now they're collectible - so much for foresight ;) -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Steve Drier. <Vanvw1@aol.com> wrote: