Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:09:57 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cheapest fuel pump I've ever seen

Not to forget my recent pop-top canvas purchase that I returned to the seller after I could'nt get it to fit, and he then later told me it was "made in China". My good used pumps that I've sold on ebay for years are genuine Bosch, and often a newer replacement with years of use left. Which, BTW, is $47.49   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370407213685&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT Robert 1982 Westfalia

How ironic that this is posted right on the heels of another list member's bad experience buying cheap Chinese parts. To recap, he tried to save money buying Chinese brake rotors and immediately regretted it; out of the box they were already so badly warped that he's trying to get his money back. (Yes, these Ebay fuel pumps are also Chinese made, despite the seller's disingenuous attempt to imply otherwise by using "USA" in the brand name.)

Do the math. If the fuel pump is $47 shipped, the seller is netting about $35 after he pays shipping, Ebay, and Paypal fees, which means it probably wholesaled for $20-$25. Back out the factory's markup plus the cost of shipping from China, and at most it cost $10 to make.  Do you really trust a $10 fuel pump not to quit on you on a dark road 100 miles from home?  Do you really believe that a quality product can be made for that kind of money?

We have brand new German Bosch fuel pumps for $109.95. Not rebuilt, not made by an no-name-brand who-knows-where, not a generic fuel pump that "kind of" works on a Vanagon. It's the same OEM German pump sold elsewhere for about $200.