Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:35:08 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C Wiring/electrical help (pic)
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>

At 09:48 PM 7/22/2010 Thursday, Robert Fisher wrote: >http://picasaweb.google.com/garciasghostvw/ACWiring# ><http://picasaweb.google.com/garciasghostvw/ACWiring>

That's a classic example of a high-resistance connection on the end that melted. You can see that the link itself hasn't even had to breathe hard. However I would expect given the photo that it would still work in this condition, just that the far end would continue to get hot until the poor connection was found and fixed. Notice that the sleeve on the crimp fitting isn't melted, so that pretty much limits it to the actual connection between screw and terminal and the link itself.

>Given the condition of the link I was thinking I might replace it with >something like this: > > > >http://www.tti-plus.com/8-Gauge-MAXI-Fuse-Holder-W-Weather-Cap-50-AMP-Fuse-p >/tti-maxi-f8g-50.htm

I can't see any reason not, with the caveat that all these high-current circuits need pristine connections or localized heating will cause damage. That includes the connection between fuse and socket -- that's perhaps why the existing link is bolted on instead of plugged in. I have had an 80-amp ATC-type fuse (in-line in an inverter supply circuit) melt one side of the socket (like the one you pointed to but perhaps larger) and seriously distort the plastic of the fuse itself, exactly as your link did and for the same reason.

>The thing is that I don't know if something like that is appropriate >compared to the characteristics of the fusible like (slow-blow or fast-blow >or whatever). I don't want to put the wrong thing in there.

I think it's fair to say that automotive fuses in general are slow-blow. That doesn't necessarily include the small glass fuses for low-draw electronics. A fifty-amp ATC fuse is not going to be a fast-blow.

>Secondly, does anybody know of a systematic approach to troubleshooting the >A/C electrical system?

Robert, I haven't studied the A/C circuitry (since I don't have one) and I don't plan to do it tonight, although I'm willing to work through it with you when you run into problems. I definitely would suggest that you copy the schematic, get some colored pencils and read my wiki article on figuring out schematics. Holler when you get stumped.

> It has a ton of relays, for one thing, and I'm not >sure how one would test those.

You test them by pulling them out, energizing and de-energizing the 86/85 terminals and checking for correct continuity on the other terminals as shown on the schematic. If it's a simple four-terminal relay then you should have continuity between 30 and 87 when the relay is energized, and not otherwise. You should be able to hear the click as the relay pulls in. The continuity buzzer on many multimeters is not sufficient; a better way is with battery and a stoplight bulb that will actually pull some current through the relay contacts. But at minimum you need to see zero or at absolute most maybe a tenth of an ohm with a meter. Seriously, rig up the stoplight bulb, that will draw a couple amps or so and prove that the contacts will actually pass current. Measure the voltage drop across the contacts while the bulb is lit -- the closer to zero the better. A hundred millivolts with that load I'd consider marginal at best.

> I'm hoping to avoid the brute-force approach >of following the current from the fuse block back to the compressor and fan, >etc. while the engine is idling or the system is jumpered live or >what-have-you.

With the caveat that you'll be following the voltage and not the current, I'd suggest that doing exactly that is not at all brute-force but (in combination with the schematic) the proper and intelligent way to troubleshoot any Vanagon electrical fault. Replacing stuff at random is called "shotgunning" and is otherwise known as the expensive way to (maybe) fix a problem -- not as bad as running at the coal fyce with yer 'ead, but more in line with scrabbling at it wi' yer bare 'ands. I say (maybe) because often the problem is in the wiring.

>Help? : /

Is that at least a crumb?

Yours, David