Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:45:01 -0700
From:         dylan <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Installing Golf/Jetta/Fox Speedo in a Syncro w/ Oil Pressure
              Buzzer

Having to import a part from Germany to make a junkyard pick work doesn't resonate with me when good used and rebuilt Syncro speedos are currently available. I have them, GW has them and there are companies that specialize in making speedos for any application. All three options are around $200. I have had no issue selling good used Syncro speedos and since this thread started have sold three more. IMHO if you have a Syncro, factory cruise control and plan to do an engine swap.....the 1600 rev speedo that came in the van is your best option for smooth operation. 1575 revs and 1600revs are not equal. Bernard makes reference to the differences between the 2wd and Syncro speedos in the description. This is why he has two output signals. Neither of which are calibrated for 1575rev. I am not trying to beat this option down, but don't feel the outcome of the non Vanagon speedo and electronics custom made for the Vanagon speedo will mesh well. ________________________________ From: BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Fri, July 23, 2010 7:28:40 AM Subject: Re: Installing Golf/Jetta/Fox Speedo in a Syncro w/ Oil Pressure Buzzer Just following up on Dylan's comment. It would appear this discrepancy can be addressed by products such as the "distance counter w/ hall sensor for T3 van" (I translate that to be  VSS) from Berndt Jaeger. http://www.syncro-bernd-jaeger.de/ENGLISH/TDI-Umbau/img19.jpg BenT On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote: > > I receive this comment from Dylan: > > "It won't work in Subaru powered syncros using the reed switch as the vss either. > Been there done that." > > > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Hello All, >> >> It is well known that the MPH speedometer for the Syncro is NLA from VW. In response to a fellow Syncronaut Craig's unsuccessful attempt to locate a replacement speedometer for the one missing from his recently purchased Syncro, I decided to assemble one from a Golf/Jetta/Fox based on information written previously by fellow listmembers. I specifically read postings by Mark Drillock and made phone call inquiries to Dan Fleming. >> >> For my project, I decided to use a speedo from a late-80's to early 90's VW Fox because it is a close match to the Syncro 1600 speedo at 1575 (plus I found one with very low miles with very little wear). Since VW tended to calibrate their speedo's to read faster, this arrangement may actually yield better accuracy. I have the speedo assembled now and pics with captions posted here: >> >> http://tinyurl.com/syncrospeedo >> >> I have not figured out a way to add the dynamic oil pressure printed circuit yet. In the stock plastic Vanagon backing plate there is small recess for the buzzer and a hole for the harness connector. None in the steel backingplate. There are PC board is held in place by molded clips in the plastic cluster. Those are absent from the steel backing plate. I am looking for suggestions to this problem before starting to cut holes in the backing plate. >> >> (NOTE to my friends on the OZ List: I am sending a copy of this email to the group in case you run into the same speedo shortage we are having in the US) >> >> Corrections and comments welcome. >> -- BenT