Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:36:22 -0400
From:         Johannes Emigholz <johannes.emigholz@GMX.NET>
Subject:      Selling '81 Westy in Montreal

Dear Vanagon Friends,

I am selling my beloved Westy as I am moving back to Europe. Of course you are the guys to ask first!

Specifications:

Engine: CV Type; 2,0 L 51 kW (70 HP) air-cooled boxer / gasoline (min. 91 octane) / Fuel Injection. Transmission: DK Type; 4 gear manual transmission

History:

Build December 1980 in Hannover, Germany. Rebuilt as camper van by Westfalia in Germany 1981. Export to California. Around 2001 sold to British Columbia. Bought by me March 2010 in Vancouver. Since then a spectacular drive to Montreal.

Recent work:

Beginning 2010 the van got a paintjob. The color is the original VW ivory that the guy got somehow on the market.

New starter in March

New windshield in March

New front brakes in April

New main engine seal in April

Pros:

The body is in a magnificent shape. It has almost no rust as it used to live in sunny California. At the eastside this is definitely a rarity and boosts the value.

The interior is in a very nice shape too. All appliances are working and are 100% original Westfalia.

Best grades in Air Care certification

Insurance till 16th Of September

Work that needs to be done:

Replace ignition and injection cables. These are old and sometimes cause malfunctions

The cylinder-head-COVER-gasket needs to be replaced as it leaks a little. Drops on heat exchanger what smells but is not necessarily bad

The oil cooler sometimes leaks. I am pretty sure that it is the connection pipes and the cooler is not broke.

The 4th gear. The bastard selling me the van made sure not to disclose this problem and I did not recognize it. The gear lasted 4000km and is now completely gone. Current top speed 70kmh :-) As I don’t want to screw anybody over I have to admit that this defect really suck. You need to get the tranny rebuild or find a replacement.

Let me know if you are interested or know a good way to sell it! I am asking 2600 CAD. Thanks, Johannes