Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:41:53 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant hose leak between long pipe & bottom of T Stack
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM>

At 06:29 PM 7/26/2010 Monday, Steven Johnson wrote: >Thanks for your input. The hose is on the passenger side and is attaches at >the bottom of the T-stack right next to >a heater hose. It goes about 8 inches or so and then connects to one of the >long metal pipes going forward to the >radiator.

If you have a manual transmission that hose is just [the equivalent of] x inches of Gates heater hose. If you have an automatic then it's probably a tee with a nasty little hose going off to the transmission cooler for $200 or some such awful thing. In which case you might think about the GoWesty kit that uses a manifold tower with one more tee on it, and a length of plain hose (included in the kit).

If it's actually the junction between the hose and the plastic pipe going forward, then you're no doubt victim of the famous "where did the little steel insert go?" problem (answer -- it went inside the big hose you're talking about) in which case your choices are to replace the pipe(s) or to install GoWesty's ingenious little kit that captures the inserts and keeps them from crawling away to hide. A) is more elegant, especially if you use stainless steel; B is a heckuva lot cheaper, even counting the cost of the above-mentioned manifold/hose kit that's a prerequisite. You can see what I'm talking about on their website.

I have (both of) those kits and my opinion is that they're well thought out and should indefinitely prolong the life of those big plastic pipes. Total cost for me was about $85 (the pipe kit was on sale) and I've still only installed the one where you're talking about as the others haven't failed yet. But I have them ready and maybe I'll install them pre-emptively.

But as I said, the purists amongst us may moan and cry sacrilege! All I can say is that they have more disposable income than I do.

Yours, David