Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:27:55 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: bad news from mechanic
Comments: To: Tom Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>

if financial considerations indicate Bar's Leak or some other leak stopper juice ( check out Nanotech .. bright yellow-green bottle. they REALLY claim genuine head gasket 'repair' with that stuff...kind of an involved process if you follow all their steps ) .. and ....waterboxers don't have 'real' and 'normal' head gaskets.. but people have kept them running and leaks stopped.. and I like Bars Leak. have used it over the years many times.

just wanted to say .. that at 120,000 miles it really is better to do a real valve job and head gasket repair on the 1.9 wbxr engine. no news there I'm sure .. what I'm getting at is it's not real good to have the heads on them for 20 years.. things corrode.. sometimes badly........the very worst thing that can happen, or one of the worst, is a head stud breaks off down in the block when you go to remove the nut on top of each stud... if that happens....it's really bad news.

my point is ....never taking the heads off in 20 years or whatever is asking for trouble. I know the shop probably wants almost $ 3,000 or whatever to fix it .. and not saying 'you must do that' .. but I am saying it sure would be nice to do a real valve job and freshen up the head gaskets, even starting with just the worst side first.

anyway. looks like Bars Leak for now. hope that works for a while.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Buese" <tombuese@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 12:56 PM Subject: Re: bad news from mechanic