Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:08:42 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: [WetWesties] Sorta stranded in EUgene

Forwarding from WetWesties *RESPOND TO THE ORIGINAL SENDER, NOT ME!! *

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Phil Lacefield Jr. <phil@lacefield.com> Date: Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 7:03 PM Subject: [WetWesties] Sorta stranded in EUgene To: Wetwesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

I say "sorta" because the '84 runs, somewhat. I left North Bend yesterday at 8AM, headed for Faerieworlds, and the thing just would NOT go. I limped into Opal Motors in Fife, they spent four hours on it swapping out distro, computer, AMM, tweaking mixture...nothing worked. Compression and leak-down showed a bit of leakage, but nothing too concerning. $400 I didn't have flushed down the drain for a used computer and many hours of tech time. I ended up limping along at a top speed of 48mph, because I just couldn'[t wait any longer, and made it here 12 hours after I left.

Timing refuses to set, it's just all over the damn place. When it's running best, the timing is at 10 o'clock, like 30 degrees BTDC. If you set it anywhere near the top, it won't run. When you set it and rev it, the thing retards instantly another 45 degrees or so. It's crazy. If you set it and run it, and come back and check it again, it's somewhere else.

I am totally and completely stumped. I'll be limping out of here Sunday evening heading for home, but is ther anyone in Eugene in any way smarter than I am about these things, that might want to come give it a look? Or any suggestions about where the hell all my power ran off to?

Thanks - Phil

(yes, with net access in the middle of a field full of stinky hippies, go figure :-)

*RESPOND TO THE ORIGINAL SENDER, NOT ME!! *