Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:05:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Turning off rear heater
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

what I have never understood is why cars have power windows on both sides. you don't need one on the driver's side.. you're right there and can turn the crank handle.

but the other window 'way over there' .. it would be handy to have a power window on that side sometimes. I like to have that window open a few inches often .. if driving alone it's a bother to reach way over there, though not 'that hard' in a vanagon. .. but still. the only windows that really need to be power are the ones you're not sitting right next to.

and speaking of power stuff.. had a few power steering racks and pipes decide to just puke fluid all over the place recently. not fun or useful. and as I posted before ..the non-PS early ones 'feel' a tiny bit more lively at speed and cornering at speed. And better on snow and ice. More feel for sure.

Man, an auto trans vanagon with PS and more weight on the front than the rear .. has no almost no 'feel' on ice and snow.

and I do everything I can to shift weight aft in them............ gonna add an # 2 battery and put it on the ride side under the rear seat ...85 westy GL , vented overboard too probably.

lot of work but I always wanted to cut out the firewall there and take advantage of all that wasted space around and above the transaxle on 2WD vans. Huge amount of room there.. and any weight added aft is an advantage.....if it's gonna be in the van anyway .. the more aft you can keep it, and the lower, the better. and ..within the wheel base too. ( weight added at the ends is not good...polar moment of inertia .. weight is best added within the wheelbase, and low, and aft if possible ) makes that area around the trans pretty attractive from a weight distribution viewpoint.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 8:41 AM Subject: Re: Turning off rear heater