Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Jul 2010 23:20:12 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Coolant out episode this aft.

It's been in the triple digit temp. range here east of Portland, Or. so I thought I would do my normal periodic air bleed/radiator topping up just to be safe.

Did my regular procedure: Remove grill. Remove air bleed bolt at the top of the rad. Insert my special tool for bleeding/topping up...a small funnel attached to a properly bent steel brake line section that fits down into the hole where the air bleed bolt resides. I do this after the van has been sitting overnight. Pour in coolant. This time, it took about half a cup, which is about usual.. Lots of action(distraction) around my shop though today...the horseshoer was there fixing up a horse, had some honey-do's going, phone calls, etc. Later in the day I get all my chores done and head out for a bike ride...driving with the bike in back of the van and the temp gauge goes up to almost the LED blinker...higher than normal. It's normal reading is just into the big area above the cold zone...So, I start watching it even more closely as I drive about 15 miles to a bridge and cross the Columbia (want to ride in the shade, it is hot)...She stays right on the LED...until I get onto the interstate...then in about 3 miles, it starts to climb up towards hot, and I hear steam coming from the radiator....... Pull off an exit and pop off the grill...thinking...maybe my Rescue Tape hose patch let go finally and caused my radiator to blow, too...But I find the bleed bolt sitting there, right where I put it on a cross member behind the grill, before I got distracted and left it out.....So I go into my 'spares bin' under the back seat and get my Prestone and my extra water, refill with almost two gallons and all is good again when I drive home after my bike ride.. .Note to self...do not be so easily distracted when doing important mechanical stuff..I do know better, but I sometimes get a bit lax because "it's just a Vanagon, not a race car"...wrong attitude, I know.. another note...I have my coolant level light not working. Never has. Didn't need it today, either...the Temp gauge was enough to know something was not right with the cooling system. I check my oil and coolant at ever gas stop...I scan my dash instruments like a pilot...every few minutes I glance down and do a sweep of the needles in every machine I drive..I alway keep a special keen watch after I work on equipment. Good thing. Don Hanson