Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:54:24 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Porta-potti boxes

At 7/29/2010 09:48 AM, David Beierl wrote

>Rob, my first thought is that a soft cover would be easier to make >and easier to deal with. Also, are you saying that you empty the >thing every day it gets used? That's an awful waste of >chemical. Used properly the chemical will keep the thing sweet (if >that's the right word) for weeks, no need to empty it until it's full.

Thanks folks! Some really great ideas, I never even thought of looking on TheSamba for ideas, I'm just more comfortable with the e-mail lists.

After reading all the replies on the list, what I could find on TheSamba, studying what pictures I can find and my own extensive porta-potty experience (embarrassing but I have a lot of experience with these porta-potties) I have a plan.

So far we normally keep the bed folded up and use the seat as a seat unless sleeping, the poptop is used as storage for the stuff that rides behind the seat during the day. The grandkids slept up top on one trip, the last trip (WetWesties Edge of the Earth last weekend) they slept in a tent. The toilet has been riding behind the passenger seat. The value of the on board toilet happens when it's a dark and/or stormy night or you are boondocking in a parking lot or you have an emergency that will not make it to the next gas station (I really should have washed that apple before I ate it kind of thing...) As a side note I have found that if I empty the toilet everyday or so chemicals are not needed, smells are not a problem and the design of these simple porta-potties making dumping them simple.

A soft cover it is. I'm going to make a 2x6 stand to raise the toilet to a more comfortable-to-use height (this will take sliding it under the bed out of the picture) and make a cloth/vinyl soft cover to set on top of the toilet to hide it's true function. The cover will allow easy access to the toilet and allow you to still use it as a seat or foot rest.

The next thing is to give some serious thought to lashing it down...

Rob

becida@comcast.net Western Washington State, USA