Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:52:28 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Turning off rear heater
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

I often take out rear heaters because they are often leaking .. and for the extra storage space.

but I sure don't join the two hoses. if you do that, you are providing a 'short circuit' that will keep all the available hot coolant from reaching the front heater core. in practice, it doesn't seem to matter that much, heater still works, but in theory, you are providing a shorter easier path for heater circuit coolant to go back to the engine instead of through the front heater core.

sometimes I just block off the hoses right there under the rear seat. ( I find a bolt of the right diameter with a long shank, not-treaded portion ...makes a fine hose cap-off plugs. that's the easiest method. however, it still leaves the T junctions under the rear floor and firewall. early ones are metal. later ones are plastic. they both love to fail , or can, either rust through or just crumble .. so the better way is to remove those T's and replace them with good quality hose junctions. the plastic stock VW one .. used on diesel vanagons, is one application, is still available from VW . or you can use hardware store parts .. I've used AC high grade metal hose junction pieces before .. really well made material, isn't likely to rust or fail ever.

I try to make as few parts in the cooling system as possible.. like removing those rear T's .. there are SO many cooling system parts in a vanagon that getting rid of any of them that are not used or needed can only help. and putting the T's back in to put a rear heater back in .. it's good to get old coolant drained out anyway. just messy is all.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:58 PM Subject: Re: Turning off rear heater