Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Aug 2010 18:01:02 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: trip out west
Comments: To: Tom Buese <tombuese@comcast.net>

Tom, there weren't enough data in my original report for you to know whether I made math errors or not.

so far as digits, one beyond the original place holder is the usual when calculating mean values. so, for U.S. currency, the norm would be, for averaging, $0.000. But it really isn't important. The fact that retail gasoline pumps report a thousandth of a gallon seems bizarre to me, but they do. I don't believe they are that accurate.

---- Tom Buese <tombuese@comcast.net> wrote: > Yeah, we were wondering whether you were going to catch those math > errors! > > LOL! > > YMMV, > > Mr. BZ-I only round cents to the nearest 2 digits & mileage to the > nearest single digit & still feel secure > > > On Aug 3, 2010, at 4:29 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > > ---- Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET> wrote: > >> I just returned to Edmond, OK from a drive to Spokane, Washington > >> and Glacier National Park in my 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL > >> Campmobile . It has a waterboxer rebuild (110K miles at time of > >> installation) and now has 155K miles. > >> > >> I averaged 18.76 mpg (much worse coming than going, around 18 mpg > >> coming home, over 20 going, also around 18 in driving around > >> Spokane, northern Idaho, and Glacier NP). Best leg, from Raton, > >> NM, to Castle Rock, CO, 254 miles, just over 22 mpg. Worst leg, > >> from Grass Range, MT to Ranchester, WY, 204 miles, barely over 17 > >> mpg. Wind made a really large difference. Total miles for the > >> trip = 5807. Prices for gas ranged from $2.559 per gallon at a > >> Flying J in Caspar, WY to $3.039 at a Cenex in West Glacier, MT. > >> Average price paid = $2.8378 per gallon. > > > > I made a series of calculation errors in the above figures. The > > actual numbers (recalculated several times to be sure) look a little > > better. The overall mileage was 19.10 mpg rather than 18.76 (still > > less than the 20.56 on a similar trip last year), and the average > > price per gallon using total dollars and total gallons (rather than > > averaging the prices) was $2.767 rather than $2.8378. Sorry for the > > errors. The total mileage exceeds by about 1000 miles what it would > > be if we had not done a bit of driving around Spokane, and some > > exploring in northern Idaho that we did not do last year (when we > > went south into Nevada and visited Great Basin NP rather than > > Glacier). >

-- David McNeely