Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:08:47 -0400
From:         Ed Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel filters
Comments: To: colorworks@GCI.NET

Here it is in a nutshell, though there is more reading in the archives (and on the Samba) about both pumps and filters.

Early Vanagons (generally air-coooled and 1.9's) had the white square plastic fuel filter before the pump. They must go before the pump as they are not designed for the high pressure after the pump. They have a 7mm inlet to match the outlet of the tank, and a larger outlet (11mm) outlet to match the inlet of the fuel pump. The original fuel pump has 11mm inlet and 7mm outlet, and spade terminals. On the 2.1's, VW eliminated the white square plastic fuel filter before the pump, replacing it with an adapter to match the inlet of the fuel pump. They used a metal canister type filter, (7mm at both ends) which withstands the high pressure after the pump. This filter is designed to better protect the injection system. Some say that the earlier filters tend to get clogged easily and can cause cavitation in the system, though many swear by the earlier filters. Those who do without them and switch to the later set-up say that the screens in the tank and the pump do a fine job of protecting the pump, and that the metal filter is much more important in protecting the injectors. The metal filters are widely available from Fram, Bosch, etc. Just watch out for price differences. They can be had for as little as $6, all the way up to $30, depending on where you get them. The white plastic filters are slightly harder to find, but they are still around. So some people use one filter or the other, or both. Let your ear be your guide in monitoring the system- listen for unusual noises at the fuel pump for signs that it is cavitating or straining. Sometimes this is also caused by gunk clogging up the outlet of the tank.

The last few years of Vanagon production saw a change to an 11mm tank outlet, which some say reduces or eliminates any cavitation problems, but many replacement tanks are of the 7mm outlet variety. Bus Depot and others do sell both the 7mm and 11mm outlet varieties.

As for fuel pumps, the original Bosch had spade terminals, and a replacement from Bus Depot goes for a little over $100. There are cheaper replacements, but of course we open up a whole can of worms there. You can get a replacement that was used in some Ford Escorts and pickups for about $60 in an auto parts store. (Discussed here and on the Samba in the past) They may have screw terminals and 7mm inlet and outlet, so you may have to make a few changes depending on your set-up. That is what I used on my '87 about six years ago and it has been fine. You can get a replacement on eBay for $47.50, but of course that brings with it the caveat from many saying "You get what you pay for." You can also find pumps for $300 or more. The inexpensive Bosch is a popular choice. Whichever you use when it is time for a change, just make sure that you hook it up observing the correct polarity, as it will pump backwards if hooked up with reversed polarity.

What I like to do is use a Fram G2 or G12 (same size filter, about $3 at Wal-Mart) right out of the tank. It is a small clear filter, and lets me monitor any sediment or junk that might be coming out of the tank. Then I use the metal canister after the pump for the best protection. It is a small filter, though, and probably should be changed more often than others.

Any set-up other that the stock may require an adapter or two, but some (including myself) use a small piece of hose inside another any time I have a different sized fitting.

Make sure that any hose you use after the pump is rated for fuel injection. Anything before the pump can be standard fuel line.

Ed in CT

-------------------------------------------------- From: "Troy" <colorworks@GCI.NET> Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:53 AM To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Fuel filters