Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:55:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5sp trans woes
Comments: To: Robert Downes <bobdownes@GMAIL.COM>

the only sounds tired CV joints make to me are clicking sounds.

you don't seem too concerned about the internals of your rare and valuable 5 speed trans. man .. a piece broken off from something in there .. could be other pieces about to do the same .....possibly damaging other parts .. not to mention the likely ultra fine metal particles that are still in there a little.. and they'll help bearings wear more .. and the R & P .....whether that part is still ok or not almost defines if the trans is a rebuildable unit,or junk. ..or a new R & P is very expensive .. I paid $ 700 or so to VW for a new one in the 90's.... could be more these days ..

anyway .. my new favorite gear oil is Royal Purple.. almost 18 bucks a qt. though.

I think you're on borrowed time with that trans myself.

good luck ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Downes" <bobdownes@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:02 PM Subject: Re: 5sp trans woes