Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Aug 2010 17:05:29 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil overfill... or not? (long post)

What's the world coming to when Scott has the shortest post in a thread? I was beginning to wonder if you all got copies of "Dragon Naturally Speaking" for your birthdays or something .... Anyway, Dave, something that came to mind is that I don't know how many times I've seen somebody "check their oil" and top it off right after turning it off. It doesn't take long for the oil to drain down but it doesn't happen instantly. I think in that case you get a lot of slightly overfilled engines. Also, the same group that designed that dipstick also designed the water jacket- just something to think about.

Cya, Robert

On Aug 5, 2010 4:10 PM, "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > I just installed a tencentlife oil cooler set up.. > I approve of it. > the more delux syncro version has a temp triggered electric fan on it too. > goes behind right tail light. > bit expensive though.. > around 500 ish I think. > > Scott > turbovans > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Alistair Bell" <albell@SHAW.CA> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:53 AM > Subject: Re: Oil overfill... or not? (long post) > > >> if you search on the samba classifieds for "tencentlife" , he has a >> good looking oil cooler system for sale... >> >> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=514460 >> >> >> I think the coolant cooling system, if in good condition, is good in >> the vanagon. I mean it has good capacity to cool. One wonders though, >> with our older vans, just how tip top shape the cooling system is. >> Oil cooling might be improved especially when driving loaded westy at >> speed. Oil temps seem to, in my experience, go up in relationship to >> engine rpm, whereas at speed the airflow through rad keeps coolant >> temp in check. You notice that rad fan comes on more often when >> idling or going slow. >> >> My highest oil temps have occurred (in my I4 conversion) when driving >> fast in hot weather. My highest oil and coolant temps happening >> together have occurred when labouring up steep rough roads in low >> gears (even down to first), fully loaded westy, summer trips - low >> vehicle speed but high engine rpm. >> >> Ideally, oil temps should be around 100 C, give or take. I had oil >> temp and press. gauges in my westy, VDO, and while its debatable just >> how accurate they were, they did give relative info that I liked to >> have. >> >> Also, I always used synthetic oils in that engine. Just for peace of >> mind and knowing the little engine would be working hard and needed >> all the help it could get. Oh and while this is not applicable to the >> wasserboxer, I did install a "windage plate" between sump and block. >> That is supposed to reduce oil foaming a bit, and reduce oil slop on >> cornering. >> >> >> alistair >> >> PS Adventurous European Vanagon drivers travel in N. Africa and also >> there are Vanagons in S. Africa. Web searches might give you info on >> their solutions. I know that there is at least on German supplier >> (Bernd Jager?) that installs front mounted oil cooler an long supply >> lines for diesel installs. >> >> >> On 5-Aug-10, at 9:03 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: >> >> >> so, is this German vehicle just not engineered to operate at the >> elevated temperatures that we experience in the hotter parts of NA? >> I know that people do run them in Arizona, Baja, Texas, Southern >> California. Are my experiences consistent with those of others? I'm >> not having any running problems, and the engine seems to run at the >> proper operating temperature, so far as the coolant system reports. >> Oil pressure is certainly "adequate" as reported by the gauge. >> Mechanics have told me not to worry about the occasional blinking of >> the oil pressure light at idle, so long as slightly raising the rpms >> causes it to stop blinking, and it stays stopped when the rpms drop. >> But the blinking resulting from long runs at elevated ambient >> temperatures, coupled with the "low adequate" oil pressure on those >> runs makes me wonder about oil temperature. >> >> Are the more robust (effective) oil coolers that you mention >> available for install on the beast? If so, do they add maintenance >> concerns of their own? I have generally preferred to keep things >> stock on a vehicle, not wanting to simply create other matters to >> deal with. After all, excellent engineers designed it -- or not? Of >> course, the waterboxer is a problematic engine in other regards, too, >> and its high maintenance demands make me less than in love with it, >> as some of you already know. >> >> But, it performed well on the trip out west, and my wife loves it for >> its camping utility. Keeps her off the ground except when we >> backpack, and she likes the kitchen. When I cook while camping, I >> often do a good part of it outdoors, and I always wash up outdoors -- >> easier to me than the tiny sink. Two can hardly work on cooking >> together with the available space in the camper. >> >> Dave