Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:09:12 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil overfill... or not? (long post)
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

When I first got my Jetta powered van there were some issues. One issue was the dipstick was "vague".. On a gas inline conversion, You relocate the dipstick into the diesel oil pan...I think.... and that pan sits on the engine block at a 50 degree angle. Mine, the O-ring and stop was loose and held in place with a zip tie...I never 'really' knew exactly where to put the dipstick "stop"..since it slid up and down the dipstick an inch or two... So I started by always doing the error on the side of too much oil...after I fixed the stop in place...at an arbitrary place on the dipstick...a "best guess"... .One day after a fuel stop and adding some oil (my "rear" main seal has always leaked a little) as I was driving along...the van started missing badly and this huge cloud of whitish smoke was following me along...."Thar she blows!" I thought...and went round the back and saw a speckled tailgate, covered with oil spots...some oil puddling below the motor...Sure signs of Bad News, right?...I thought I'd just fire it up and try to limp the last few miles to my house (cell phone was at home) and 'crickey! she fired right up..no more smoke, no clanking or clacking from the innards...nutin bad.. Got it home and checked the oil...it was about 3/8" over the full line. Got out my bently and drained the oil...checked the amount against the book...2 1/2 qts too much....Refilled it with the specified amount after putting the van on a level slab...the dipstick full mark was almost right...So no need to error on the safe side any longer..and no more smoke clouds behind the bus...No damage done, either...Tough little buggers those inline VW gas motors.. I still check my oil at every fuel stop and never let it get more than half a quart low. With so little oil in the system..about 4qts...a full quart low is too much, IMHO, to drive without adding... For comparo, my 928 racecar carried 16qts of oil in the sump and the coolers...Change that after each race...at over $6 a qt for Amsoil Racing...I no longer have that kinda disposable income to race away.... Don Hanson