Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Aug 2010 18:42:05 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: blue foil false alarm
Comments: To: Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@yahoo.com>

At 06:20 PM 8/7/2010 Saturday, Stephen Grisanti wrote: >And I'm willing to admit it's me, because I find many things about >this vehicle exasperating.

Well, you're certainly not alone in that. I'm sure each of us has a little list of things we'd like to speak sharply to VW about. <g>

>However, I have made a living as a mechanic (admittedly in the >ever-more-distant past) so even without Bentley at hand I feel that >I have at least SOME sense of how to approach an automotive task and >sometimes this thing confounds me. That's all.

Ah -- that could be it. This is more an electronics-tech job than a mechanic job. And I'm more an electronics tech than a mechanic, so I'm right at home with it.

One thing re speed/ease -- I've found it much easier to release the switch tabs from the panel than to remove and replace the plugs from the switches. I'm sure removing and replacing the panel would take me twice as long as it does (which is about three minutes, I think) if I were messing with those very-tight plugs.

Anyway, glad it worked.

If this is your first time taking the panel off -- make sure that the four mounting screws aren't more than just barely tight enough, and that the surface under them is flat (it should be, but things happen). The mounting ears are very brittle by this time and won't stand for what we would consider normal tightening.

Yours, David ps -- I've found working with Corolla panels to be more difficult because while it's quite straightforward, attaching and detaching the speedo cable is meant for people with much smaller hands than mine, and I usually end up with a scratched hand.