Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Aug 2010 07:01:13 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Digifant start-up bad

84 Chassis with inline digifant 92 VW motor. Same-o as many vanagon ignitions, same-engine managment/injection.

These past few days i've encountered rough running upon start up a couple of times. I have not yet done any trouble shooting, so I am 'fishing' for 'most likely' places to find the cause(s) before I 'dive-in'.

The van has always started easily and worked properly on start-up. Turn the key and listen for the pump (it is working and sounding the same since my problem started) It starts easily after a couple of engine rotations. Same number rotations as always. This one has always done a short 'up and down, semi-stumble hunt' once the engine catches, and then it settles into it's warm-up mode...about 1200rpm fast idle...for a few minutes. Then it drops right off "warm up mode' into a perfect and steady idle at 7-800 rmps. All this with 'no touchy' of the accelerator pedal.

Two days ago, first start of the day at about 90degrees ambient temp...It fired up normally but didn't get past it's 'hunt and stumble' phase until I reved the engine a few times with the throttle pedal. It seemed to catch normally but then run on only two, maybe three cylinders till I 'goosed it' a few times. Then it idled, as usual at it's warmed-up 7-800 rpms. I drove off and could detect no poor performance...Normal driving performance. Next start, with the engine at operating temp, normal start up. Couple of revolutions of the starter, no touchy the gas pedal, fired right up and idled normal...all that day.

Yesterday it fired up normal..maybe just a tad more hunting around after initial ignition..and went right into it's higher idle warm up mode...as normal. Came down to normal running idle as usual after a few minutes... Drove about 20 miles(running normally) and parked for two hours..then started up and again got the 2-3 cylinders only mode until I blipped the gas pedal a few times to 'light off' the missing cylinders..

So I have something odd happening upon start up. I'm thinking to start with the Temp II sender, which is maybe 2yrs old now. And while I am on that, I plan to check the Idle Air Control valve hoses and connections..that valve is about a year old, so it should still be good. I shall listen for it's hummm, too. My fuel filter was changed about 2months ago.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Oooh, Just occured to me...Prior to this new and recent start up problem I did overheat the motor somewhat, during a dumb "I forgot the air bleed screw in the radiator" episode...I better look in the cylinders and see if I see any coolant in there, huh? It could be that...coolant fouling the plugs from me cooking the motor, though I never saw more than "1/2 hot" on the temp gauge during that coolant-out episode. It did, however, boil the coolant in the radiator...I might be swapping in my "new" 2 liter Jetta motor soon, if a leaking head is the problems...

Don Hanson