Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Aug 2010 09:34:52 -0600
From:         "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\"" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mystery engine cutouts

All the helpful comments about Mellow Yellow's recent problem got me focused on temperature possibly being a cause for the problem. Summary: climbing up several summits earlier this week on a very hot day, the engine would lose power briefly (3 to 4 seconds) then power back up again.

I swapped out the ECU the next morning and drove home over two more similar grades in much cooler temperatures without incident.

Loss of ignition? The tach said no. The O2 monitor showed full lean condition and the full lean condition suggest a fuel delivery problem.

Bad fuel? I was running on a new tank of gas from an unfamiliar station. I'm going to look at the intake side of the fuel filter to see if there are any traces of water.

Vapor Lock? This was suggested but I wonder how hot it would have to get in the engine compartment to vaporize fuel in the pressurized fuel line.

Failing fuel pump? Could be. A remote-reading fuel pressure gauge or a microphone on the pump could be used to check, but that's getting a bit complicated.

Bad ECU? David Beierl suggested looking at the drive to the fuel pump relay to see if the ECU got weird and shut off the pump briefly. Some wire and a light bulb would suffice for that.

I want to toss out an additional bit of information that has occurred to me: Mellow Yellow has been driven in similar conditions (hot weather, long uphill grades, engine under full load) in the past without problem. But about three weeks ago it got hit by a '72 baywindow bus when that bus was struck from behind by a speeding sedan. The passenger side quarter panel is mashed in below the air intake vent and above the side marker light by at least 1-1/2'' (3-4 cm) and I wonder if that has substantially reduced the amount of outside air being drawn into the engine compartment, leading to higher temps in there. The temp gauge didn't indicate excessive heating, but things like the ECU might have been getting baked.

Just an idea.

IN OTHER NEWS, The insurance company for the driver of the car that ran into the baywindow (the guy that caused the collision) has told the owner of the baywindow that they are not going to be paying any claims because the driver swerved to avoid an oncoming car so was not at fault. Police report cites him for "careless driving." He verbally said that he was looking down when driving and when he looked up he saw the oncoming car. Whatever. It's not clear to me how the insurance company doesn't feel it needs to pay for damages when their driver was driving carelessly. I've been out of town and will talk to that insurance company claims adjuster tomorrow.

-- Rocky J Squirrel 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCRs