Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:04:31 -0400
From:         Ed <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replacing pressure A/C Pressure switch w/o losing Freon
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>

BE VERY CAREFULL!

This is a really hazardous thing to do if you do not know for sure there is a Schrader valve behind the switch. You might not know if there is a valve there or not until just before the switch is blown off.

There will be about 270 liters of oily freon gas blowing out in your face at about 100 psi if there is not a valve behind the switch.

This can make a real greasy mess in the interior of your van, not to mention inflict serious damage, including blindness, to your eyes and lungs.

This is a whole lot more hazardous than simple refrigerant hose repair and recharging because you don't know for sure what you are working with. IIRC, the switch will be very close to eye level and maybe pointed toward your face when it is unscrewed. To just "unscrew it and screw the new one back in" without 1) knowing there is a valve, and 2) the valve being in good working order is a recipe for disaster. The valve, if there is one, is really cheaply made and will not have been operated for probably 20 years and may be stuck, have dirt under it, or simply leak because of age.

Your best bet would be have a professional do this for you. If there is a valve, it will take him about 10 minutes. If there is not a valve, you will have to get it recharged anyway. At least, this way you will be able to see when you come back home.

This is a really scary thing to do under any conditions. Don't take unnecessary chances.

Ed