Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:58:29 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Turn signals
Comments: To: Mary K Creasy <mkcdc@VERIZON.NET>

on thing to always try when turn signals act weird, is to cycle the 4 way flasher switch a few times ..

the turn signal electrons go through that switch .. sometimes flipping it a few times off and on will make things happy again.

it's also a good test to just try the 4 way flashers.. you should of course get 4 bright, steady bulbs flashing.

some common mistakes I see .. wiring in a new socket, make a mistake on the wiring of the 3 wires .

wrong type bulb...can't tell you how many times I've seen that ..but it's a LOT. Someone might have even put a wrong bulb in the back.. and you are seeing a problem in the front ..

I see that a lot, I would check all bulbs for correct type, and installation.

grounds .. ground connections are often dodgy on old vanagons .. grounds must be good. try substituting your own temporary ground wire , see if that makes a difference.

you can have wires plugged right onto a front turn signal socket, and just because the two pieces of metal are touching, does not mean there's good contact there.

I have seen that a lot too.. two conductors in obvious physical, even firm, contact, ..but not a proper connection.

I treat a lot of spots with WD-40 .........not especially kosher for electrical contacts, but sure works for me. I use a lot of electrical contact cleaner, and dielectric grease too.

try substituting a 12 volt test light for a turn signal bulb .. see if that makes it flash properly. basically, 'substitute and bypass' until you have it fixed.

I've never even had to think about the flasher itself on a vanagon.

on a 20 year old vanagon .. I find literally hundreds of electrical connection spots to make happy again. throughout the whole van.

typical for example.. on the early type fuses, the ceramic thing .. I see where the ends of them are corroded, and that fuse box has never been cleaned or treated or serviced in any way in the entire life of the vanagon.

a huge amount of what I do on vanagons is all about correcting for and overcoming Corrosion. On the whole van, but very much so in the electrical system.

really, I don't think anyone actually 'services' the electrical system . they just fix it when it breaks, and that's a horrible way to take care of a vanagon.. because all the things that haven't broken yet are unserviced ....and on their way to breaking.. If properly serviced/treated/treated for corrosion etc.. then they won't break, or not as likely to.

that's my wisdom offering. 'treat corrosion throughout the entire electrical system on old vanagons.'

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary K Creasy" <mkcdc@VERIZON.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:27 PM Subject: Turn signals