Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:08:36 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: My Blue Carat Rides Again
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Way to go!   Stephen

--- On Wed, 8/11/10, John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET> wrote:

From: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET> Subject: My Blue Carat Rides Again To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Date: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 12:03 AM

Over several days, after a bit of work - new battery, remove-clean-flush-reinstall fuel pump. Swap dead injectors for working ones, install new ignition harness, fresh fuel in tank, checked coolant level, check oil - started it up and it ran smooth as silk!!!!

Today filled the tranny - it took three quarts of ATF - three quarts is max capacity - so that little bad boy was completely dry. No wonder it had been reported as having tranny problems. I ran it a bit just sitting in neutral. Then shifted to drive, then reverse - several times. Checked the brake fluid, then drove down the road beside the house. Accelerated to the point all gears shifted while in drive. Stomped it and it dropped into passing gear. Everything worked like a champ. Only negative was when I parked, the brake lights were on, and wouldn't go off. I had to disconnect battery to keep the lights from burning out or the battery being pulled down. It's a switch somewhere, but I will find and fix. Nothing major.

The next big step is to put good tires on it and drive it some to get the transmission hot to see if it slips. If it doesn't, then I have a road-able vehicle for winter, while my Burgundy '88 GL daily driver is down getting  some body work done.

There is still work. I need a replacement rear Carat bumper, and a power steering pump. The AC needs service, but it may have to wait until next year.

This Carat is going to be one sweet vehicle.

John

-- John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com