Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:50:27 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic Fridge: Bah Humbug! <grin>
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

---- neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Hi all. > > Well I pulled the fridge again. Found a ***tiny*** leak at the exhaust > where it meets the combustion box. Pulled things apart, cleaned, > checked the jet, (could blow a steady stream of water through) sparker > made a nice long arc to frame every time. Made a Red RTV gasket, > tested for leaks before and after installing, all good, (closed one > pipe. Blew hard. It held air. Air "popped" back out when released) > Stuffer 'er back in, aligned manifold to body and gasket, applied RTV > between manifold, gasket and aluminum plate. Checked flue image in > manual, and compared marks left on spare set of flue parts to double > check assembly. Opened the LP valve. Fridge fired up on the 3 or 4th > click. Flame would go from normal to almost out several times, then > stay larger (heating mode) once cycle of air in exhaust out > stabilized. It stayed lit and fins got cooler pretty fast. But...... > > It still won't stay lit while driving!

The refrigerator is NOT SUPPOSED to stay lit while driving. Instructions on the propane system specify that the vehicle is not supposed to be driven with the propane valve open. The reason the refrigerator has a 12 V mode is for driving. If the refrigerator is reasonably well maintained, the 12 V mode works, too. Mine does.

I know that some people claim to keep the refrigerator on propane mode while driving. Guess what -- the instruction to turn the propane off while driving, in the camper owner's manual, and on the label on the propane port, is per DOT. Why not use the refrigerator as it is supposed to be used?

Stay lit on a windy day? I've never had a problem.

DMc

And, I bet it still won't stay > lit under windy conditions while in camp. > > Bah! I give up! > > Bah! I say. ;) > > <rant off> > > All I need to do now is decide on which compressor type fridge to buy. > (then solar panels.... ;) > > Neil. > > > -- > Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines

-- David McNeely