Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:11:28 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic Fridge: Bah Humbug! <grin>
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

---- Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > in my westy owner's manual - "supplement to 1982 vanagon owner's > manual", W 42-022-960-1, there is no, I repeat, no warning about > driving with fridge running on propane. > > What propane port are you referring to when you say there is a DOT > warning sticker? And does your DOT's authority reach into other > countries? > > Its up to you to do what you like with your van Dave, but if you are > telling others what to do, back it up with some facts now and then. > > And please tell us, how do you maintain your fridge? what do you do > to ensure the 12 V system works? > > alistair

Alistair,

My Camper is a 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile.

On page 15 in my _Camper/Multivan Suppplement to Volkswagen Vanagon Owner's Manual_ (highlighted in blue):

"WARNING Make sure the main valve is closed whenever you are driving, or if you are not going to be using the stove for a period of time."

The admonishment that the main valve for the LP gas tank must be closed for driving is repeated on page 21 of my owner's supplement under the heading "Driving Safely," and subheading "When driving your Camper /Multivan remember the following:" Here the warning reads (not highlighted in blue): "The main valve for the LP gas tank must be closed."

The same warning is repeated on page 16, again highlighted in blue, where the warning reads:

"WARNING Never use the LP gas when driving. Always switch to 12 V before starting off." This is under the heading "Controls and Equipment" and subheading "Refrigerator (Camper Only)."

I must have remembered incorrectly concerning the warning I thought was on the skid plate of the propane system. There is no admonishment there concerning the main valve and driving. However, the warning is clearly stated on pages 15, 16, and 21 of my owner's book.

So far as the DOT rules reaching into other countries, the Camper was sold in both the U.S. and Canada, and the owner's book I have is applicable to both countries (in fact, and almost certainly due to an error at the printer, part of my book is in French, part in English, but the French portions are not duplicated in English and vice versa!). The warning labels on the skid plate covering the propane system do state that regulations applicable in the country of operation are to be followed. I have no idea whether Canada has a similar regulation to our DOT requirement that camper propane systems valves be closed when the vehicle is in motion.

Now, I have a question. I investigated these questions in my van just now, which is sitting in my driveway in the bright Oklahoma sun, temperature in the shade on my front porch 106 F (south side of house) and in the shade on my back porch (north side of house) 104 F. Besides the questions we are concerned about, I discovered that the refrigerator fan was running. So, is the fan switch thermostatically controlled, and also not in series with anything else about the refrigerator? Is it supposed to come on and cool the back of the refrigerator, even if the refrigerator is not on? Should I be concerned about draining the battery?

Sincerely, David McNeely > > > On 11-Aug-10, at 1:50 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > The refrigerator is NOT SUPPOSED to stay lit while driving. > Instructions on the propane system specify that the vehicle is not > supposed to be driven with the propane valve open. The reason the > refrigerator has a 12 V mode is for driving. If the refrigerator is > reasonably well maintained, the 12 V mode works, too. Mine does. > > I know that some people claim to keep the refrigerator on propane > mode while driving. Guess what -- the instruction to turn the > propane off while driving, in the camper owner's manual, and on the > label on the propane port, is per DOT. Why not use the refrigerator > as it is supposed to be used? > > Stay lit on a windy day? I've never had a problem. > > DMc >

-- David McNeely